Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:07:11 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Other Games
| | |-+  BF:BC2 Day One Thoughts
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: BF:BC2 Day One Thoughts  ( 4045 )
Mach
Inactive
Forum Member

: 51

« : March 03, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

Ok so after about 3 hours of playing MP last night I figured I can give my initial thoughts on the game.

The Good:

-Looks amazing!  I'm running a core 2 quad with an nividia 8800 GTS and I'm able to run everything on high with stable framerates.  I think that has to do more with my cpu then my graphics card.  Either way running down infantry with tanks never looked so good.

-Destructible environments FTW!  I've played BF games since 1942 and the DC mod and I have to say this really has me excited.  Being able to change the environment on the fly and take out whole damn buildings with people in it is great.  Using grenades, C4 and such is cool but the real fun is using the good old tank to take out huge sections with people in them.  On the receiving end of that it is just as cool as your sound goes dim, your vision is horrible and it really gives you that urgency of 'have to escape now' feeling.

-UAV.  This is just simple thing I enjoyed last night but was a lot of fun.  You can control a small unmanned helicopter that you have complete direction over and then mark targets with a laser which fires a missile at them.  Great for taking out tanks from above.

-Point System. Being a BF 'veteran' I was able to slip right back into this type of game.  The great thing about this game is the fact that they give points for everything.  You can be a lonewolf sniper or rambo assault if you want but I played as engineer most of the time last night and racked up the points not only with just kills from my guns and vehicles but got major points for repairs I did throughout the rounds.  The scoreboard in game also displays by overall points so even if you're playing engy or medic and have a horrible K/D ratio, you'll still be on top if you're racking up the repair/healing points.

The Bad:

-In game server browser.  I swear they try to make this thing clunky on purpose.  For those from the old school days, I always enjoyed using the All Seeing Eye to find servers as it was quick and clean.  Then came BF 2 with its awful in game browser.  This one seems to be slightly better since at least the mouse scroll works but the filter system leaves a lot to be desired not only in options but also having to refresh the damn list each time you filter.

-In game voice. In BF2, as in TF2 and other games, you would get an icon showing that your voice was transmitting.  I looked all over the screen and could never tell if my squad could actually hear me.  I need to test this more as it wasn't the highest of my priorities last night.

The Ugly:

-Day one issues!  This was to be expected and will most likely clear up in the coming days.  Lots of server disconnects, friend requests not working, stats not updating correctly, etc.

Overall:

Excellent game!  I think as more people become accustomed to the maps this game will only get better.  Last night it was just sort of all out chaos as people had no idea about the map layouts.  As squads of people get better I believe we'll see a lot more tactical play happening.  Definitely a buy if you're into FPS even in the slightest.

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #1 : March 03, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »

I just paid rent and cable/internet bills so I'm going to wait a week or so before I buy it.  Rest assured I'll be online soon.

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #2 : March 04, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »

They already released a new version of the server files to the hosting companies, so things will undoubtedly get better.

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #3 : March 04, 2010, 02:31:54 AM »

Mustard + Yourway + I decided to play on an 8v8 server tonight. It's SO much better than playing 16v16.

Also, I know how to fly a helicopter! yay!

Mach
Inactive
Forum Member

« #4 : March 04, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »

Yeah I was out skiing last night so didn't get on till late.  I jumped into the game you were in for a bit Crazydog.  Everything seemed to be running a lot smoother this evening with the connection issues and such.

Mach
Inactive
Forum Member

« #5 : March 04, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

One more quick thing.  'Mach' was taken so my ingame name on the EA system is Machzor.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #6 : March 04, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »

I was really thinking about not posting this, but since 1 year of a 16 slot BC2 server costs 68.97% of a monthly payment for our server, and that we only need $130 more, I thought I'd toss this out.

If anyone wants to help us purchase a BC2 server ($203.49 for 1 year), just head to this link
http://www.gameservers.com/clanpay/?clanid=3c40a63e3b571d3da6fadc6b9db8d3a3
and toss in whatever you can. I'm willing to throw in a few extra bucks if it gets close, so it doesn't need to reach the goal completely.

Rally Pig
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 213

AOL Instant Messenger - Evel+knievel31
« #7 : March 05, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »

Just picked it up prob play some single player tonight to get the controls down...prob be attempting multi player tomorrow

wow my upload sucks

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #8 : March 05, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »

Go EA. The master server goes down, so you can't log in, and servers are being shut off to help test issues with excess load on EA's master servers.

Fraggle79
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 209

« #9 : March 05, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »

Haven't done much multiplayer yet, but same as others the main issue of the server list updating sucks ass.
Not too much hassle once connected though.
Most guns in game feel a bit weak, like they need more power.

My gamer tag in BC2 is      Fraggle1979
Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

« #10 : March 06, 2010, 02:14:23 AM »

They do need more power, and once you level up, they will have it.

Rally Pig
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #11 : March 06, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

I lucked out with Rally Pig lol, i didnt do a clan tag cause what we use for the line i get a crosshair logo...how did you guys put it in?

as in game play i put the war tapes audio on and HOLY SHIT lol even with my headphones turned down enough to where they are almost off its like being there and going deaf, i played through the first 2 missions (WWII, and first fight with Ruskies) and this game is AWESOME!!! Call of what? lol i still like how they kept the destroy it all game play, i was in a house and there wasn't a window where i needed one so i made one lol, DEFIANTLY worth the money! :cool1:

wow my upload sucks

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #12 : March 06, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »

I just use "TE" for the clan tag.

Crazydog was already taken, so I'm Crazydog(CROSSHAIR) :P

Rally Pig
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #13 : March 12, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »

Just finished the single player story line, i thought it was awesome lol :blob:, DEF left off for a 3rd...ill leave it at that :mrgreen:

wow my upload sucks

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

« #14 : March 13, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »

I haven't really touched single player, it's hard cause I just keep thinking "I could be leveling my classes right now".

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: