Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:28:51 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  Computer Builds
« previous next »
: [1]
: Computer Builds  ( 2479 )
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

: 499

AOL Instant Messenger - Uberarchangel
« : February 15, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »

Recently i have been toying around with the idea of starting a computer building buisness. I am using only newegg for the speed/convenience. The whole point is to make a system that uses good brands, is cheap, upgradeable, and decently overclockable. Price as said here includes shipping for my end and $100 for assembly/Installation. So it would be price + shipping for the unit. I am looking for suggestions and you experiences with the said brands.

Base Systems   <-----Upgradable from this point.

$1,750 AMD Nvidia Gamer

$1,700 AMD ATI Gamer

$1,600 PD ATI Gamer

$1,600 PD Nvidia Gamer

$730 P4 64 NO SLI

$725 AMD NO SLI

$600 P4 AGP Gamer

Current Projects for Top of the Line   <-----Unfinished for parts and versions.

Tornado   <----- Air Cooled Option

AMD/Nvidia

HydroCooler   <-----Water Cooled Option

AMD/Nvidia

The extra 420W PSUs i will sell on ebay for prob like $20 a piece.
« : February 17, 2006, 03:41:27 PM MDK22 »

Darkensky
OBSESSED

: 935

Every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you

AOL Instant Messenger - Darkensky
« #1 : February 17, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »

Sounds like a nice plan, What kind of market are you aiming at?? Seems just at gamers.? What kind of profit are you looking for?? What kind of product gauarentee are you doing?? What is your compitions around you're area?? How much time will this consume on your end?

These are some areas you might want to research.  If you need any help, just ask.  One of my majors is business adminstartion. 
« : February 17, 2006, 11:51:44 AM Darkensky »

01010011 01001010 01010100

Forum Pro

« #2 : February 17, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »

Target Consumers: Mid - low price range gamers. Will have high end but i dont expect to sell many. Continental US and Canada. Sry Newfies.

Profits: Well right now i just want to do it as a side thing maybe a website setup with paypal maybe just ebay hope it will take off though.

Guarentee: is Manufacturers Guarentee which is good everything is at least guarenteed for a year. I will replace the parts for free but you have to pay for shipping. If bought off ebay no DOA Guarentee unless shipping was insured also product will not ship until i recieve the money.

Technical Support: Technical Support for Pre-Shipped components and software is available at a charge of $250 at inital purchase for 2 years or an initial $50 and $15 a month for 2 years (Paypal Only). After 2 years rate starts at $30 a month and doubles every 2 years (Paypal Only). This will include a phone number, voice over internet communication and IRC communication. All will be preinstalled on the computer at no charge other than the rates listed above.

Warranty: is Manufacturers warranty unless you pay for the price of warrenting through new egg which i will have to list. Any Overclocking/Modification/Misuse of any hardware wether intentional or not voids warranty. Not liable for Natural Caused Events or National Disasters.

Pre-Shipped Overclocking/Modification (Optional): done by me or the company does not void warranty. Will cost an additional $150.

Discount Rates: Will only pay $50 each for Overclocking, Assembly, and 2 year tech support. This applies to The Elders CS:S Clan Members and freinds of me for 2 or more years.

Benchmarks: All base systems will be benchmarked before shipping. These benchmarks are guareenteed accurate before shipping. After Recieving Benchmarks may have changed due to changes from transportation/climate etc...
« : February 17, 2006, 12:58:34 PM MDK22 »

`t`o`k`e`s
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

: 147

AOL Instant Messenger - skaterus
« #3 : February 19, 2006, 11:16:33 AM »

well if your going for gamers, i suggest you add a SLI system. make sure you have at least a 550watt psu for SLI setups.? i see on some systems you are adding the Asus A8n32 mobo.? trust me, for someone who bought its not worth it.? a lot to condiser when buying that motherboard.? tust me i made the mistake.? problems with the ASUS A8N32 mobo

if you plan on going SLI throw away any extra pci cards you have.? once you stick 2 gpu in there, nomore pci slot room.? the way they put the pci-16x slots are retarded.

if you have a btx style case, donot buy the mobo. mobo will run 5-10 degrees hotter then normall.

if you use corsair memory,  alot of cpu coolers will not fit due to the fact cpu agrea kinda cramped and corsair memory sits taller then most ram.

dont get me wrong, if your an extreme overclocker and can deal with out the stuff above? get the board.? it is an awsome board.?

but for my purpose i hate it. i have a brand spanking new soundblaster xfi platinum that i cant fucking fit.? i have a btx style case, so my mobo runs at 45c idle and 50c load.?

« : February 19, 2006, 11:31:40 AM `t`o`k`e`s »

MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

« #4 : February 19, 2006, 11:04:06 PM »

Its base systesm so i would through in another card it would be an upgrade option. Other wise its to exs[ensive the psus are 550 read the full list man the 420 just come with the case cant get it any cheaper cause they dont sell it without and as for the corsair ram thnx didnt know that.

What about ocz are they taller then norm.

I plan to use only atx mobos

InfraRed

« #5 : February 21, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »

Hi,

It sounds like you've done a lot of reasearch on all the components that you've chosen. Staying with one distributor like you plan to do is a good idea, since you will soon become a valued customer, and it's just convenient like you saide!

Another thing you could do is allow customers to customize the systems that you have listed, using what you have as a guide. Perhaps charging a little more for helping the customer with their selection. I just think it will be a little off-putting to some people not having the option to customize their compter.

Here the main two points work through with your customers, before building. This is the kind of service computer companies charge a lot for.

1. Feasability Check; Find out what the computer will be used for (Gaming mostly by the sounds of it  :-P), how much the customer can afford, and how long the customer is prepared to wait, simply because some very high end components could take a while to obtain.

2. Design; Picking out components to meet the customers requirements, recalculating the price to make sure your in the ball-park with the customer's budget.

I like your idea of charging for providing an overclocking service, maybe again a little more selection within that service might give the customer a little more to work with. For example, you could charge a small amount, and only overclock by say 500mhz for intel prescotts, maybe less for amd's. Run a few stability tests... Or the alternative is to find the absolute max, then take the chip back by ~50mhz. You could obviously charge a lot more for this, but obviously keep in mind you shouldn't charge too much, or you might exceed the price of a much faster processor.

Perhaps offering aftermarket cooling for the graphics card, Arctic cooling, or zalman. Either is a good choice.

Also, make sure you remember to include the OEM OS in the price, and maybe do an offer for free installation and setup of any other software. E.g. MS Office, AV programs etc.

When building custom computers to resell, you need to send the customer all the original packaging, along with the original invoices. since this will be needed if anything should need RMA'ing. Make sure you make a copy of the invoices for reference, in the case of the customer getting back in touch with a problem.

There's not really a lot more i can think of, you've done a great job getting some ideas down, now it's time to go and do it!  :lol:

EDIT: Wow, that post got big fast!  :-D

~InfraRed
: [1]  
« previous next »
: