Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:13:33 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  General Server Information
| | |-+  Suggestion - Using the SteamBans Plugin on your pubs
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Suggestion - Using the SteamBans Plugin on your pubs  ( 3452 )
eXce!!eNt
Noob

: 10

« : October 06, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »

Hey guys, the SteamBans plugin has thousands of reported cheaters catalogued and is updated regularly.  I think it could be a positive addition to all your public servers.  I'm going to start reporting all my cheater findings directly to SteamBans.com as well as to server owners.

Their system of reporting cheaters has recently become stricter, requiring submitter's to demo the alleged cheater, and after starting the recording, type "sb_status" into console, and the information printed to console can be later checked when reviewing the demo.

Their website is here: http://steambans.com

The only downside about this plugin is that (from what I gather) you need to manually update the "ban list" which can be released as frequently as every 2 weeks.

As you can tell, I've been reporting cheaters to you guys since April of this year... I can't stand them, I used to aid in anti-cheat development for another game, so it's something I've been helping to stop for 3-4 years now.  And I have no problem taking 5-10 minutes out of my day to stop someone from ruining 30+ minutes of other people's leisure time.  PZ
fraggle 79

« #1 : October 06, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'm appreciate you looking into this for us the the hacker you've already found.
I'll take a look at the site.
eXce!!eNt
Noob

« #2 : October 12, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »

I really hope you guys start using this plug-in.  They are also making a version for TF2, so you can use this on all your public servers.

I tried submitting the hackers I've caught on your server to SteamBans, but they rejected them because your server wasn't running the plug-in.  Apparently, you are required to type "sb_status" in console when demo'ing cheaters, as they told me this provides a security blanket so that demo files aren't tampered with and no one is banned wrongfully.  "sb_status" only works on servers running the SteamBans plug-in.

It makes life easy for me because all the other big name DM servers (NHB, NuclearFallout, NextGen, etc.) are running the plug-in, so cheater reports can be sent directly to SteamBans, as opposed to going to each individual server owner.

:-)
fraggle 79

« #3 : October 13, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »

I submitted one days ago, still no word yet. I like their site.

I'll talk to Widow when I get a chance about maybe using it at least on DM since it's so bad in there.
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #4 : October 27, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »

I submitted one days ago, still no word yet. I like their site.

I'll talk to Widow when I get a chance about maybe using it at least on DM since it's so bad in there.

It might be nice to have this on the pub as well, as we have had a few cases of blatant cheaters in here also. Keeping them out with the SteamBans Plugin could help. I personally have not banned anyone but have had to kick some when everyone complained that he was cheating. This way we could run demos and founders/owners could easily add these SteamID's to the list to keep them out.

fraggle 79

« #5 : October 27, 2007, 03:02:55 PM »

They rejected my attempted ban b/c I was not using their system. I'll get with widow to see if we can try to use it.
eXce!!eNt
Noob

« #6 : November 02, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »

Yeah, they informed me that recently they had to step up their Proof Requirements when receiving ban submissions.  They said it was because people were able to tamper with the demos and people could end up being wrongfully banned.

If you add the plug-in, it would make my life easier as nearly all the major DM servers now have the plug-in and I can simply submit each ban to SteamBans.com as opposed to visiting the site of every server individually.

Once the plug-in is loaded, all you gotta do is start demo'ing a player, then hit console and type sb_status ... then you're golden and can submit the demo (in a ZIP file).

PEACE  :-)
eXce!!eNt
Noob

« #7 : November 13, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »

bump  :-)
wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

: 4349

Baller

MSN Messenger - JMess_22@hotmail.com
« #8 : November 13, 2007, 10:25:21 PM »

I really think we should look into this.  Seems like a good Idea.

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

<TE|EasyJ> Death u left ur anal beads on the floor in my bathroom
eXce!!eNt
Noob

« #9 : November 15, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »

All the major DM server's are following suit and adopting the plugin.

NHB, NFo, NXGS, eLusive, among others.  I'm in the process of getting in contact with NearCry and asking him to add the plugin as well.  I REAAAAALLLLY hope you guys add it as well!  :-D

Read this thread for more info on the CAL forums:

http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=182687
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #10 : November 15, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »

Not only do I think this is a good idea but think we should add zblock to the pub as well, just like our CAL server.

HongKongPhooey
Administrator
Godlike

: 3832

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #11 : November 16, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »

I sent in the team information today.  I am now waiting for their approval.

Number One Super Guy!!!

eXce!!eNt
Noob

« #12 : December 06, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

bump  :-)

The new zBlock would also be a good idea.
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #13 : December 06, 2007, 05:38:31 PM »

I have also suggested zblock in the past for the pub...good idea.

HongKongPhooey
Administrator
Godlike

: 3832

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #14 : December 07, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »

Sorry I have been slacking on this.  I applied for the Steam Bans application a few weeks ago but was denied because they say that that cannot verify that although I used the same name for my application as I use on this site they will not approve it until they can verify that my email address is the same for both site which they are.  I am not sure why they cannot easily verify this but I will reapply and try to provide them with further documentation.

Number One Super Guy!!!

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: