Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:49:54 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  Mic won't work
« previous next »
: [1]
: Mic won't work  ( 2176 )
flintlock

« : August 10, 2004, 08:32:03 AM »

Okay, I have a real problem...and yes I probably have more than one but I've been looking around the net and the Steam forums and I haven't found a good solution to this one yet.

My In-game Mic always sounds choppy. If I had a nickle for everytime I hear "Flint, you're breaking up" my wife wouldn't need to work. I'm pretty sure I've driven Nem crazy with it, "can you hear me now? ..How about now? ..Now? " The mic works fine on my PC and in Vent so I'm figuring it's a Steam setting. It worked fine right up until a Steam Update we got some time in May or June.

cl_cmdrate: is 60 (I don't know if thats too high, but 10, 30 and 40 didn't change anything either)

rate:  I set to 7500 or 75000 (I can't remember which) for my Cable speed (768 k), which fixed some lag I was expiriencing).

I've looked at all the "voice" commands and none of those seem to impact my Mic performance.

I'm note sure which other setting(s) impacts Mic output, but I'm figuring one of you must know something because most of your Mics work fine.

Not to mention I can see all the console commands, but I'm not sure what they all do anyway, so trial and error can really screw things up.
HongKongPhooey

« #1 : August 10, 2004, 09:09:38 AM »

I don't think it is your settings Flint.  I think the problem is the pc itself and the fact that you had Night build it for you.
Privateer

« #2 : August 10, 2004, 09:17:04 AM »

I wouldn't trust night either.  :?

On a more serious note, I had the same problem as you flint like 2 months ago.  I believe it was either berger or heavenknights that sent me a script to copy/paste into the console.

It's a shame I didn't write it down though, but next time I see both of them in the server, I will ask.
NightTrain

« #3 : August 10, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »

Teh command you want to chnage is your cl_cmdrate.  If it is too low if will make the mic choppy.  I had mine at 10 once and when I changed it to 35 it fixed it.  Try playing with that Flint.
flintlock

« #4 : August 10, 2004, 10:56:25 AM »

Quote from: HongKongPhooey
I don't think it is your settings Flint.  I think the problem is the pc itself and the fact that you had Night build it for you.

Ouch no respect for EL Governor. In Night's defense, it was happening with my old PC too. I've only been using this new one for about 3 weeks.

Cool Privateer, thanks. I'm on IRC most nights and my e-mail is jharan@charter.net if you run into them.

As for the cl_cmdrate, please see post above.
HongKongPhooey

« #5 : August 10, 2004, 11:26:59 AM »

Flint, download HLToolz (http://www.hltoolz.com) install it, and run the ping tweaks, install the tweaks to new folder, copy the rates inside that new folder and paste the rates into your autoexec.cfg.
StangGT
Inactive
Forum Freak

: 207

AOL Instant Messenger - rizz8636
« #6 : August 10, 2004, 11:58:02 AM »

Try setting your cmdrate to 85...

The default most people use is 101.  Try either of those.

Anonymous

« #7 : August 12, 2004, 11:54:29 AM »

Just to give you an update...
I DL the HLToolz and tweeked my ping. Setting my cl_cmdrate to 99 was part of it. At first, as Widow will attest to, it worked great, but later in the night people started telling me it was choppy again. Sooooooo... I dunno!
flintlock

« #8 : August 12, 2004, 11:56:33 AM »

Crap, that last post was me. I forgot to log in.  :error:
doughty

« #9 : September 12, 2004, 11:07:55 AM »

is hltoolz.com down now?
: [1]  
« previous next »
: