Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:22:33 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  The Killer NICs K1 and M1
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Killer NICs K1 and M1  ( 708 )
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« : March 14, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

So, I would like to ask any of the techie people out there what they think of the Killer K1 and Killer M1 NICs.  I have been doing alot of research into these and I would like to know the opinions of others about these network cards.  It can be for or against as I want all opinions on them.

Slacker
Forum Member

: 29

« #1 : August 18, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

Well long story short I've been wanting one of these for abit now and have done some reading.  To my understand it eliviates the OS and the CPU from the burdon of transfering and processing the packets and handles all the downloading and uploading responsibilities between it's self and the HDD with the cpu acting as a buffer if the processor on the nic becomes overwhelmed. 

It also must also offer some type of packet priortization in order for it to recognize which packets belong to gaming/torrents/and regular usage.

I came here to drink some cases and rock some faces!!!
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #2 : August 18, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »

I've heard that dedicated NICs like that are a waste of money that don't provide enough performance boost to offset the cost and extra power consumption.

But that's just what I've heard

Link to stuff similar to what I've read (I have now read these too. :P):
http://www.computing.net/answers/gaming/the-ultimate-gaming-nic/7177.html
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Testing-The-Lag-Killing-Gaming-NIC-102508
http://gizmodo.com/5258781/killer-xeno-pro-network-card-lightning-review
« : August 18, 2009, 11:27:45 PM crazydog »

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #3 : August 18, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »

I've heard that dedicated NICs like that are a waste of money that don't provide enough performance boost to offset the cost and extra power consumption.

But that's just what I've heard

You've heard right. Unless you just want an expensive new toy to play with, I wouldn't waste your money on one. They are cool and do offer benefits, but for an average user, even a gamer, they are meager and a headache to derive any real advantage from.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: