Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:05:51 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  How much does an Alienware Run??
« previous next »
: [1]
: How much does an Alienware Run??  ( 1356 )
Paladin_Godfather
Inactive
Godlike

: 1565

Life's short.... Stunt it

AOL Instant Messenger - darkarmy258
« : October 17, 2005, 08:27:20 AM »

I'm just a poor white boy from the 'Burbs and trying to constantly get a new computer because these ass clown developers want to make it so realistic only high end Nasa computers can play it, yeah, its getting old and very trying... so, my buddy was telling me about his Alienware computer.... i was just wondering how you guys think they rank and more importantly how much they COST!! :mrgreen:

Can you dig it, SUCKA?!

Never! Damn the broccoli, Damn you, and Damn the Wright brothers!!
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

: 499

AOL Instant Messenger - Uberarchangel
« #1 : October 17, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »

Alienware sucks i know by own experience i have a lpatop that has had 10 hardware problems with it and im on my forth time sending it back for them to fix it. Alienware is a huge waste of money and u are better off building your own computer. If its a laptop the only brand that doesnt break much is IBM del's break alot but u can get the uber warrenty on them so they can be worth it also.

I can build you a computer that will run css for 850 -950 il give u the list u can assemble it urself it isnt hard. As long as you dont touch the motherboard or shock the motherboard. Lowest warranty is case =1 yr but its fucking steel so... other then that 2 yrs for mb and hd i believe. The rest are 3 or more.

If you are going to get a computer i would build it urself, its easy only take 6 hrs tops 2 to install mb cause im overly careful lol 1 hr for evrything else and 3 for windows and added software configuration so it runs like well ur name.

But building it is the best way to go.

If u are limiting yourself to buying there is ibm and well ibm.

Dell sucks, hps break, gateways are slow, compaqs (part of hp) slow and break.

But in the end whatever u do do not get alienware.
« : October 17, 2005, 10:24:29 AM MDK22 »

Cole

« #2 : October 17, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

First things first.

NASA still uses 386's in some of their shit.

Now, second things.  MDK22, don't be a hater.  Alienware does make good computers, and they are high end.  As for lappies, their lappies are also pretty good.  Here's the thing though.  If you have to ask how much Alienware computers are, you can't afford one. lol.  It's true.  You can build a good system equal in specs for a bit more than half the Alienware price.  But if you want dual 7800's and zahlman cooling, and have a spare 5500
bucks laying around doing nothing..

As for the brand thing, look into each computer and find out what parts go into it.  Not all dells suck, not all hp's suck, not all emachines suck.  If you are looking for a gaming system that's cheaper and prebuilt (cause you're a hardware noob), I'd reccomend going to ibuypower.com or cyberpowerinc.com  I bought my Asus z71v from the latter (which is a really nice very upgradable and customizable lappy,  Great price too).  These places don't have the great customer support that an Alienware or Voodoo company has, but the prices are about the same as what you could build for the money.  On a side note, IBM's are very expensive, and I don't know what hardware they put in their machines...so I'm not sure they're really great gaming machines.  I do know that they are trying to come back to the consumer market (have seen a few), but I think they are doing it slowly.  They mostly have stuck to laptops.  They laptops ibm puts out are not gaming machines, and will cost about the same as the alienwares..)

And the dell xps600 doesn't suck. 

oh, and mdk22, the lappy that you have is probably a Sager 9860.  It is a great and powerfull laptop, but has a lot of heat issues so you really need to be careful with the venting.  Half an hour with a clogged vent, and you could start overheating chipsets, gpu's, and hdd's.  Which laptop did you get?   a-51?

MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

« #3 : October 17, 2005, 12:21:19 PM »

Reedited sorry about that guys yesterday was a bad day for me. 10/18/05

i have alienware 51-m and im not the only one that has had problems with alienware there are thousands. I am also sorry fo thr fact that they cant fix shit im on my 4th time trying to get stuff fixed (i know about the lemon law i just didnt feel like argueing with the person on the phone) and the third time since everything came back broken i sent a list of what all was worng and what all to do to fix it. ANd it still came back broken. Dude if i wouldnt void my warrenty i would have fixed it by now. Not to mention they have the worst tech support i have found. Now when their comps do work they run great i will admit but i have been without my laptop for over 2 months worth of repair time because they can't fix stuff.

My bottom line is no to alienware cause alot of ppl i talked to also got machines that were DOA (dead on arrival) so...

All my heating vents were clear when i opened it up each time... which i was told to by them over the phone. I am sry but i payed for customer service and tech support i shouldnt be the one opening it up to check crap. They also dont listen at their tech support i telll them whats wrong and how i know and they go well you still need to open up the computer.... lol i dont think so i had to go up 2 lvls of tech support to get someone to handle my problem.

Let me ask you a question have you ever owned an alienware comp?

So Cole i really dont think you know alot about comps or you would realize that 99% of all dell computers a built with cheap parts. Oh another question for you cole who makes the motherboard???? you dont know dell is cheap with stuff like that. ALso XPS 600 = 3,500 and i can build a better comp then that for 2,000 so what else is new.

I am sry but thee is no point to buying a desktop anymore. And damn it cole alienware sucks dude over 3 wks for one repair period and comes back broken not packeged right and missing my ac adapter i dont think that flies as good tech support.

Dell does back up their crap very well i admit that and if u get an extended warranty u could drop an m80 and blow the comp to crap and they would replace everything.

Hps and compaqs get installed a wierd way which causes office to get messed up 1/4 of the time. i know i have had to reinstall office on everyones comp that got it stock with it. Along with ac problems lots of ac problems with their laptops. Desktops from hp and compaq are normally a pain to upgrade.

Dell is probably ur best bet if u want cheap but other then that you do IBM i havent had any experience with voodoo or falcon but they are supposedly good.

The problem with dell is they are cheap and you have to use alot of proprietary stuff for them so upgrading is a pain unless u spend $$$$ initially.

Dude Cole im not dumb there are reasons why i say certain things and its from experience, not what other people tell me.
« : October 18, 2005, 05:55:03 AM MDK22 »

Cole

« #4 : October 17, 2005, 12:49:02 PM »

I know, mdk22, chill. 

1.  Don't make your opinion on the company based your experience with a lappy that is know to have issues.  You know ( if not you do now ) that alienware has nothing to do with the make of that machine other than applying AS5 and paint.

2.  I wasn't saying that you didn't know about computers.  I have no idea what your knowledge base is.  I was saying that Paladin doesn't cause he's retarded lol.  j/k.  Anyway, I have fried my fair share of mobo's and I wouldn't suggest to someone to go and build one on their own.  It may be easy for you and me, but it's not for everyone. 

3.  Don't get pissed for christ's sake.  The heating vent comment was meant to show how sensitive the a-51 is.  I mean the Sager 9860. 

I know that the dells and gateways of the world are built with cheaper, engineered for their specs, parts.  If you want retail parts, you have to pay for it.  But it is more money.  Example.  emachines is selling a 3000+ amd64 machine with a pciexpress mobo with a 17" crt for 524 bucks.  I don't care what parts it has in it, other than i can upgrade the vid card, memory, and hdd's, etc.  It is 524 bucks.  It has a shitty ati 200m express card.  put in a 150 buck 6600 gt oc  and you have a great budget gaming computer.  For under 700, monitor included. 

And I'm glad you have 10 years experience building computer.  For the record, I'm 29 and have been repairing/building machines since I was 8.  When I got my IBM PCjr and put on the extra memory module, and had to re lube the 5.25" drive cause it stopped reading.  lol...  DOS was not included, it had no OS.  My dad bought DOS, and it came on a cartridge like an atari game.  Those things were leet.  I still have the machine.  Thanks for saying I don't know a lot about computers because my advice was geared toward someone who doesn't (no offense paladin, you did ask the question).  You have no idea what I know about computers.  If you read the forums here, you'll find that I too am a big fan of lappys, and the newest desktop I own is a PIII.  It was an hp, and still runs to this day.  I only shut it off when power failures do it for me, and I run it 24/7 - six years running.  I'd say it's a good machine.
I run linux on that machine, and xp on my laptops.  5.  Two of which I've rebuilt myself.  One had a bad LCD, and the other had a bad CCFL and cable.  Thought it was the inverter at first cause I wasn't getting any voltage off it, but that turned out to be a cable issue. 

Paladin, my advice is still...check out those sites, unless you feel like building your own.  Then tigerdirect, newegg, etc for parts.
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

« #5 : October 17, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »

Dude i appolgize for being so pissed  :-D :-P it just gets to me when ppl tell me im wrong when i have info to back it up and its from multiple experiences. As for those old ass machines i had an adam and thats about as far back as i have gone. And as far for the companies when p3s were out they cared about the ppl nowadays they really dont give a f***. I say paladin find someone u trust that can install motherboards and that stuff. if not go dell xps 600 is a good system but it has a cheap motherboard in it. Everything else looks good.

Sry i went off on you cole i just been havin a real bad day and took your advice a little insulting even though it was intended to be.  :headbang1:

Yeah are u talkin about the days where your HD was 500mb and the size of 2 cd-rom drives and wieghed like 25lbs. I happen to have been fickin comps since i was 5 but, doing it once or twice a year i dont count.

Yeah sry again for gettin pissed i have been drinkin a little bit too much no fear lately plus im irish and havin a bad day, lol didnt get too much sleep either 4 hrs. :headbang1:

but i know that comps have been goin to shit over the past 2-3 yrs. Dell used to be godlike now they kinda suck.

as for u paladin how much computer experience you got so we can give better advice.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #6 : October 17, 2005, 04:00:03 PM »

The same thing is happening to alienware that happened to gateway....they used to make good computers but now theyve got money they start mass producing sometimes using cheaper parts and they think hey were "insert name here" people know our stuff lets make 'em pay for the name now...its sad but true....your now also paying for that name.

Cole

« #7 : October 18, 2005, 06:22:49 AM »

I was unaware that alienware mass produces their desktop systems.  I think that they are still all handmade with retail parts.  Maybe some things are OEM now, but still high end.  Their website does look a lot like dell's now though.  lol.  I just clicked on gaming systems, starting at 839, and it has Intel GMA 900, just like my Latitude D160.  Great gaming if you like 1.6.  I don't even think you could play dumbed down source on that thing. 
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

« #8 : October 18, 2005, 06:39:50 AM »

Yeah my alienware laptop cost me $2700 US which is a lot of money to dish out for a laptop, oh and yes u can get a usb thing to make coffee off of it. Anyway Alienware is like 70% price for the name and look. The rest is for your actual parts. See now when i pay that kind of money i expect performance and reliablity. The failed to give me reliablity.

Paladin_Godfather
Inactive
Godlike

: 1565

Life's short.... Stunt it

AOL Instant Messenger - darkarmy258
« #9 : October 19, 2005, 08:42:36 AM »

well, i hate laptops and am not interested in getting one anytime soon.... so LordDuren built his comp... maybe he can help me.... i got a PowerSpec which isnt bad at all, im thrilled with it, but im stuck with this 2.4 processor.. you cant upgrade that and not really understand hardware... i know software more... so maybe a do it yourself job is in order

Can you dig it, SUCKA?!

Never! Damn the broccoli, Damn you, and Damn the Wright brothers!!
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

« #10 : October 19, 2005, 11:16:50 AM »

Are you sure u cnat just replace the processor if that is the only thing thats low but i would suggest a new computer all together. Yeah i would suggest you make a new topic if/when u plan on building one and have us compete to get you the best bang for your buck.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: