Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 08:24:25 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  Source Compute requirements
« previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Source Compute requirements  ( 4734 )
Poops Mcgee

« #45 : May 01, 2005, 03:15:37 PM »

yeah i built my first computer in 2001 and i can't ever see going back to big name computers again. if you can wire a car stereo up u can put a computer together. it's that easy. i recently upgraded that machine i built in 2001 with a new mobo, 1GB of pc3200, amd 2800 and an ati 9800 pro all for $400. yeah i know that seems cheap, but ram is cheap now which helped.

cpu $100
ram $85
mobo $125 with $110 rebate = $15
vcard $200

that upgrade would not have been possible with a dell cuz i wouldn't have been able to put a new mobo in it that supported the faster cpu and ram. i get a miniumn of 55 fps in source now, normally higher, but it drops to 55 sometimes. it might drop lower when a bomb goes off sometimes. but i'm quite happy with my upgrade. that was a big step up from what i had, which was a gf4 ti4200 64mb, amd 1600, 512 of pc2100.

but i haven't tried to tweak cs:s a bit. seems to run fine the way it is. it is a bit dark for me though. the CT's can hide from me quite well in the shadows.
Spikeroo

« #46 : May 02, 2005, 05:57:33 AM »

dell xps are good machines but a waste of money i think.  u could have gotten the same or better parts your self and put it together for a much cheaper price then the dell xps.

Building my pc for the price I paid would be tough - I spent $1466 for my Dell XPS Gen 3 due to a wonderful $1250 coupon I had.  It would be hard to build the PC I got at that price.

Let me re-state the specs:

Dell XPS Gen 3 Configured as follows (Service Tag: 7JG3R61):
P4 550, 3.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB
1 GB 533 MHz DDR2
256 MB PCI Express GeForce 6800 GTO
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
SB Audigy2 ZS w/Dolby 5.1 and Firewire
Philips 16x DVD-/+RW Burner
2nd DVD-ROM Drive
NetExtreme Gigabit NIC
USB Headphone Adaptor and Headset (since the sound card sucked with Source)
Already owned the MX500 mouse
Already owned a Multisync P1150 (19.6" Viewable)
Some OEM Software (XP Home, Norton, Etc.)
1 Year Warranty

:mrgreen:  Mr. Green says "Ride that bitch!"
« : May 02, 2005, 05:59:41 AM Spikeroo From Kalamazoo »
Privateer

« #47 : May 02, 2005, 07:50:39 AM »

dell xps are good machines but a waste of money i think.  u could have gotten the same or better parts your self and put it together for a much cheaper price then the dell xps.

Building my pc for the price I paid would be tough - I spent $1466 for my Dell XPS Gen 3 due to a wonderful $1250 coupon I had.  It would be hard to build the PC I got at that price.

Let me re-state the specs:

Dell XPS Gen 3 Configured as follows (Service Tag: 7JG3R61):
P4 550, 3.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB
1 GB 533 MHz DDR2
256 MB PCI Express GeForce 6800 GTO
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
SB Audigy2 ZS w/Dolby 5.1 and Firewire
Philips 16x DVD-/+RW Burner
2nd DVD-ROM Drive
NetExtreme Gigabit NIC
USB Headphone Adaptor and Headset (since the sound card sucked with Source)
Already owned the MX500 mouse
Already owned a Multisync P1150 (19.6" Viewable)
Some OEM Software (XP Home, Norton, Etc.)
1 Year Warranty

:mrgreen:  Mr. Green says "Ride that bitch!"

It would be hard my old friend spike, unless your name was privateer my friend

Let me re-state my specs:

Dell Dem 8400
P4 3.2 GHz, 800 FSB
1 GB 533 DDR2
256 PCI Express Geforce 6800 GTO
Philips burner
I added a 2nd one
already owned a mx700
They sent me a free 19" lcd which i sold to my roommate
bought 2 19" ultrashap lcd's
1 year warranty

Now the kicker, I paid in total around $800 for it total after a glitch in all the deals i found (I was able to combine like 3 coupons which wasn't suppose to work and was taken off in less then 3 hours after I bought it.)  I found another deal for 200 off the ultrasharps, and I sold my 17 and 19 (free) for practically the same price as the ultra's

Spike, i feel your love when you hate dells but you have to buy one anyways, I was almost at the checkout from newegg and tiger building my own when i decided to go browse for deals :)
Spikeroo

« #48 : May 02, 2005, 10:33:52 AM »

Woot...

But did you get free shipping?  And how about that neat blue tower case with the blue lights?  LOL.  No comparison.

J/K.  Nice job - Dells ain't so bad - you just have to be savvy sometimes if you want to upgrade or change anything.

:mrgreen:  Mr. Green says "I had a Dell once...yeah...a farmer's daughter in da Dell...wuz her name?  It was f'ed man...der wuz whole bunch of aneeemals makin' noizes and shitz too...I dink they wuz saying 'Go Mr. Green GO!' "
Privateer

« #49 : May 02, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »

hah i got free shipping, any and every coupon that works for dell has free shipping.

You do have a better tower, i'll give ya that :)

Mr. Green said he was impressed by my excellent deal, and that is all I really care about anyways
Poops Mcgee

« #50 : May 02, 2005, 06:41:03 PM »

well it's not really that it's a dell that makes a computer inferior, it's the fact that pretty much any comp manufacturer doesn't use retail level components. and the companies that do, like falcon northwest and voodoo, cost so much it isn't worth the price to get them to put it together for ya. and the fact that youse got intel only puts you further from the top. lols

amd and ati owns all youse
Privateer

« #51 : May 02, 2005, 07:16:20 PM »

come in the server and say that  :-D
Poops Mcgee

« #52 : May 02, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »

ehh i would, but while amd and ati owns you, adelphia does not. they own and abuse me like a whipping boy. for about 3 months now i have had a pretty bad problem with intermittent packet loss. and by intermittent, i mean really really intermittent. some of you may have noticed that i will be in your server maybe for hours, then i get kicked for >200 ping. and my normal ping is about 40. like tonight just 30 mins ago, was craving some TE CS:S goodness. but saw some clanmates in our rtcw server so i jumped in there to frag it up. after about 15 minutes my connection went to crap and now i guess i'm done for the night. really sucks. even right now as i am browsing the TE forum i am monitoring about 70% packet loss. i am at my wits end with adelphia, although that may have been a short trip. they have no idea what is going on and i have had techs out to my house a dozen times and have had 41 service tickets with adelphia since feb.3. i am even on my 3rd modem from them. although that doesn't mean anything cuz there wasn't anything wrong with the modem in the first place. it is somewhere in their network, or cmts as they call it. i have no idea what that is other than the upstream i am on that has 43 connections. it will handle 600 btw. yeah i'm that rural. lols. when my connection is working it is really good. 5Mbit down, 512 Kbit up.
: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
: