Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:55:40 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  AMD Dual Core's
« previous next »
: [1]
: AMD Dual Core's  ( 748 )
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« : December 17, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »

A little background for my post...

Over the last few weeks I have noticed some issues with my ping and gameplay. Some of you have heard me complaining in Gun Game.

What would happen is this:

When I open HLSW and let the connection to one of our servers sit for a bit, I would get these spikes like crazy. I don't mean one every 30-60 seconds or so, I mean every 2-5 seconds. My ping would jump up to around 300 or so.

In game if I bring up the scores my ping would be at 20 or so, but my ping in net graph would be 90+ sometimes spiking up to 600. Also my in/out would be around 10-15. So you can see I have some issues.

After this I figure I would troubleshoot all kinds of shit. Router, NIC, Wiring, everything seemed fine. I started running trace routes and ping commands to send to my ISP. Come to find out the trace route's were retarded. They would show pings for the trace routes up in the 42 billions somewhere. I was also getting ping's in the negative when running the ping command. I googled a few things and found some interesting stuff.

Come to find out, there is actually a problem with AMD dual core processors running on a motherboard with dual LAN's in Windows XP. AMD actually stepped up and released a patch for XP which fixes the problem.

So if anyone is experiencing spikes in HLSW and you have a dual core AMD processor you may want to do a couple things.

Download the drivers for your chipset, most likely nvidia.

Download the patch for the processor
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/setup.zip

I was using the Marvell gigabit LAN so I downloaded their updated driver. It also says I connect at 1Gbps now rather than 100Mbps
http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=175&pId=3

Hope this helps some peeps

Widow

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #1 : December 17, 2007, 12:51:28 PM »

Nice find Widow.

snyper133
Forum All-Star

: 343

Make sure you get your whole head in front of.....

AOL Instant Messenger - Backswimmer13
« #2 : December 17, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »

Are there any of these problems posted with Intel processors at all?

hakksaww
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 118

« #3 : February 10, 2008, 10:03:43 AM »

SWEET! this issue was something that was on my "get around to" list.

nice find!

: [1]  
« previous next »
: