Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:58:28 PM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  DNS Hosting
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: DNS Hosting  ( 2009 )
Farside
Forum Member

: 75

I wanna know whos cup this is!

« : October 18, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »

I installed Mandriva Linux 2008 on my PC today. Easy as cake! I had a problem getting the .iso to burn to a disk, but all problems have solutions!

I want to start hosting for web. Anyone do this already? I have figured a lot of stuff out already, but I do need help. I haven't hosted before.

I'm hosting web space, ventrilo, teamspeak, or w/e you guys want me to.

NOTE: This isn't a gaming box.

"I really have nothing important to say." - Streetballer 10.8.07
wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

: 4349

Baller

MSN Messenger - JMess_22@hotmail.com
« #1 : October 18, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »

Ask, nemesis.  He runs as server.  Then again, he is never on.  Ask widow...  :dontknow:

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

<TE|EasyJ> Death u left ur anal beads on the floor in my bathroom
thefunk
Forum Member

: 25

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #2 : October 19, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »

Your home Internet connection isn't really designed to host web pages or any other interactive services for that matter. Unless you have a fat pipe with plenty of upload bandwidth you'll find web pages loading rather slow if there are multiple people on. Not to mention something like vent or teamspeak where it's constantly shuffling data back and forth from/to multiple people.

Even if you have a fat connection like FiOS, you may still see high latency. Also, web hosting and things of that nature are generally against most ISP's TOS. Mosts hosts are located at datacenters plugged straight into major Internet backbones with multiple gigabit links through sophisticated routing hardware - all this is designed to optimize traffic routing and is why your favorite website comes up instantly from anywhere in the country. Home internet connections are just no match. If you want to run a couple pages for yourself and a few people, it'll probably be okay but anything for general public consumption and you'll experience annoying slowdowns (regardless of the actual hardware you're running).
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« #3 : October 19, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »

Also you can't become a host unless you have 2 DNS servers running. All hosting "Companies", for lack of a better word, are required to have 2 DNS servers. 2 for redundancy . Cox business is what this site runs on and it is fine. After I threw our firewall in the garbage that is. Reason being is that when someone buys their domain name they have to give DNS servers which will point that name in the right place. So unless you have someone hosting your DNS entries you will have to build yourself 2 servers to host your DNS names. Which is relatively easy since it can be any POS box you can get linux to run on.

Widow

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #4 : October 19, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »

Linux rocks  :headbang1:

Farside
Forum Member

« #5 : October 20, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »

Yeah, I just got two boxes together. And hit-man you couldn't have said it any better... Linux rocks =)

I have linux on 3 boxes now. My PC, my old serverbox, and my laptop. Ahhh, windows sucks... lol.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #6 : October 20, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »

Yeah, I just got two boxes together. And hit-man you couldn't have said it any better... Linux rocks =)

I have linux on 3 boxes now. My PC, my old serverbox, and my laptop. Ahhh, windows sucks... lol.

If all my stuff ran under linux I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Farside
Forum Member

« #7 : October 20, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »

Stuff as in programs?

Google search Linux Crossover. GG

WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #8 : October 22, 2007, 06:39:36 AM »

I love all the anti-windows people!!!! Just to let everyone know, linux isn't best for everything. I am the IT guys at 2 companies and have windows servers running at both and neither server has gone down in 5 years. I admit Vista sucks, but XP has been solid IMO. People just like linux better cause it is open source, for the most part, and you can write add ons for it pretty easy. Plus it's free.

Also CS:S runs better on windows than linux!!!

Widow

Farside
Forum Member

« #9 : October 22, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »

It runs better... but if you were to optimize your system for gaming, then it tops windows... even with the crossover running.
I forget which operating system does that for you =(

WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #10 : October 22, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »

See that's the thing, who the fuck wants to sit around and optimize a remote server somewhere for a few days when you can run things just fine out of the box with windows. You linux people must like to work!! Must be a job security thing. Wait I will be back in a few I have to recompile!

OK I'm back

"Yea my server works killa man, only took my 5 days to set it up!!!"

Enough with the "linux is better than windows" shit. It's a personal preference that SHOULD BE KEPT TO YOURSELF!!

Want to get into a windows/linux debate, go to a forum that gives a shit!!!!

Widow

Farside
Forum Member

« #11 : October 22, 2007, 12:38:10 PM »

Widow, can I use your soap box for a sec? KKTHX. Linux servers are way more secure. You know that. Also something to think about- what operating system was windows using to run their servers? OK just wondering. =)

WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #12 : October 23, 2007, 12:12:23 PM »

I didn't know windows uses a different operating system. Or did you mean microsoft!?!? In any case... 2 If you, personally, have something that important where you need to lock it down like fort knox then more power to ya. Yea linux is probably better for a server, but for a desktop I think not. Like I said it's a personal preference, you like linux,  great while your trying to get it to run all your apps I'll be playing games on mine out of the box.

Makes you think why Microsoft rules the world????
« : October 23, 2007, 07:44:27 PM WidowMaker »

Farside
Forum Member

« #13 : October 23, 2007, 12:24:28 PM »

Yes I meant microsoft, my bad =)
Microsoft was spewed out to man faster and better than anyone else. If microsoft wasn't so good at marketing, theyd be dead.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #14 : October 23, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

You both make good points but heres the bottom line for me:

For a secure server (if you need it that secure) Linux is great, as well as good for web hosting....

on the other hand:

Windows has decent server capability and is now pretty stable and secure as well being more user-friendly. It's just easier for me to do things on a Windows box. Certainly, it is better for a desktop/home user.

That being said, if Linux could improve their installation ability, availability of software (without a utility to make Microsoft apps run on Linux) and user-friendliness they might have something over Windows. Until then, as I said, even though I like Linux, Windows is just easier at the moment.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: