Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:19:54 AM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  Unlocks-useful?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Unlocks-useful?  ( 2093 )
LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #15 : June 28, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »

I use cloak and dagger almost exclusively, and I consider myself a pretty decent spy. You have to be patient, but it allows for some nice trickery.

Also, the Sandvich is an excellent tool used when either A) you have no medic or B) you want to heal your medic.

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 123

« #16 : June 28, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »

I seem to be in the minority here. Perhaps it's just my playing style, but I favor the alacrity of the original spywatch. I just like moving around. If I stand still, I feel like I'm gonna get ganked X.X

Crimshadow
TE Recruits
Forum Member

: 27

« #17 : June 28, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »

There's lots of good places to wait for prey, and not have to wait long. To be, with how I play it, the CnD makes for a slower spy experience. Well, as slow as spying can be I guess. There's certainly times I wish I could pick up some metal to bring the cloak back up, but overall, I like the careful stalking of people more than the fast movement of the original watch.

I don't play spy very often, only when I feel my team is doing well. But, I am the same way, I love stalking my prey. Enjoying the hunt, savoring how safe my enemy feels he is, and the final, inevitable conclusion is like dessert.  :evil:

As far as the sandvich goes I wasn't saying it wasn't useful, just mentioning a medic pet peeve of mine.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #18 : June 28, 2010, 04:39:34 PM »

Here's my long and convoluted post on every unlockable weapon:

Scout:
Force-A-Nature: I used to like it, but after switching back to the scattergun, you learn how much those 4 other rounds really helped. It has it's useful situations, but most of the time it seems you'll get killed before you kill someone with it
Bonk!: Good against sentries. Not much else use. Usually I'll see people use it, and run around in front of me until it wears off. Then I kill them.
Crit-a-cola: Worthless. :P I've been using it since I crafted it to see if it could get better, but it can't. The fact that YOU take mini crits as well as give them really only makes it useful when your enemy doesn't have much health left.
Sandman: Since it has been nerfed so much, it's not so great. Not much more to say about that. :P

Soldier:
Direct Hit: Same as sandman. The rage meter doesn't fill fast enough, since they lowered the value, so if you're using the buff banner, you should use the rocket launcher. It has it's situations, though. I like it for defense on payload maps when everyone is around the cart. It's a nice target to aim at. :P
Buff Banner: I love it. I haven't missed my shotgun once.
Gunboats: Haven't really found a good situation to use it over the buff banner or shotgun, but it does its job.
Equalizer: Haven't gone back to the shovel since I got it. Since you're usually pretty hurt when you're trying to melee someone (I mean, you're out of ammo. You're probably gonna be hurt) it's a nice way to finish someone off. The extra speed is fantastic too.
Pain Train: I like to use it when I'm playing soldier or demo on CP maps.

Pyro:
Backburner: As with the sandman and direct hit, it's been nerfed too much for me to like it so much anymore. I used to use it all the time, but I've switched back to the flamethrower. I still like it on 2fort, however.
Flare gun: More of an annoyance than a weapon. I don't feel it's effective enough to do much.
Axtinguisher: Been using it since I got it. Great unlock
Homewecker: If you're gonna be an engy farm guard, by all means, use it. Help em get those sappers off. Otherwise? I don't see it worth much. If you're close enough to melee a building, you're close enough to burn it.

Demoman:
Chargin' Targe: Used to use it, but I missed my stickies too much. Not much else to say. Oh, yes there is. I miss being able to catch up to people easily. :P
Scottish Resistance: If I use it, I use it on defense so I can guard a few areas at once.
Eyelander: Favorite demo melee weapon. Great all around. :P
Pain train: See soldier
Scotsman's Skullcutter: It has some nice abilities, but I can't deal with the slower movement speed. The demoman needs to be fast. Maybe a good combination with the Chargin Targe.

Heavy:
Natascha: Good sidegrade. It's pretty equal to the minigun since you'll be hitting them more even though it does less damage. Also, it sounds better. :P
Sandvich: Great for when you don't have a medic
Dalokoh's Bar: Awful. If you have a medic, it's effects don't matter. You don't get healed to 500 health as I learned yesterday. Don't see much of a point to use it instead of the sandvich
KGB: Fantastic. You might not get a kill, but if you do, and there's other people around...

Engineer:
OH WAIT

Medic:
Blutsauger: Until recently, I only used it. Then I remembered about the regeneration being lowered with it out, and tried the syringe gun again. The 3-6 hp/s regeneration instead of the 1-4 hp/s is great. And unlike the blutsauger, it's ALWAYS higher, not just when you're shooting someone with it. Also, crits!
Kritzkreig: Always use on defense. Always use medigun on offence.
Ubersaw: Haven't looked back. Getting +25% uber is totally worth the slower speed

Sniper:
Huntsman: If you want to get up close and personal, use it. Great combo w/ jarate. Can't say much else.
Jarate: I always use it with the huntsman
Razorback: I always use it with the sniper rifle
Tribalman's Shiv: The reduced damage is made up with the bleeding. Why wouldn't you use it?

Spy:
Ambassador: I've been using it, but I think I'm gonna switch back. I only really use it when I need to GTFO, and I don't have the time to aim perfectly for the head of my enemy
Cloak and Dagger: Love it for payload maps. I sit off somewhere where nobody can see me, invisible, and just wait for the perfect moment.
Also, to respond to Lyriq, standing still is GREAT for a spy. That's NOT what people expect. If my cloak runs out temporarily, if I just stand somewhere, I'll most likely survive instead of running off, since the person chasing me has a good idea of where people would usually run as a spy.
Dead ringer: Don't really like it. You might get a couple stabs, but as soon as the team is aware you have a dead ringer spy, you become dead. A lot. (Well, as long as the enemy isn't stupid. :P)

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #19 : June 28, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »

Long post X.X I never run out of cloak :p

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #20 : June 28, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »

As I do seem to be in the overwhelming minority, I will let all you CnD spies be. To each his own, I guess. I guess we'll just let the scoreboards do the talking  :-P

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #21 : June 29, 2010, 03:41:02 AM »

I'd have to say I agree with crazydog on most items. Anything else would be a nitpick. Although, I still think dead ringer is useful. Especially if you use it as an escape mechanism instead of a sneaking mechanism.

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #22 : June 29, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »

I've never figured out how to use the dead ringer in a really effective way. Once in a while I'll pop it on for a few spawns just to confuse people though.

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

Crimshadow
TE Recruits
Forum Member

: 27

« #23 : June 29, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the dead ringer was bad, it just doesn't fit how I like to play spy. I have a certain play style I like to use when I am spying and the cloak and dagger accents it extremely well. While the dead ringer doesn't. To be fair, I have seen some spys be extremely successful with the dead ringer.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #24 : June 29, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »

The greater the combined stupidity of the enemy team, the greater your effectiveness will be with the dead ringer.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #25 : June 29, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »

Spies that aren't very good and get discovered and killed a lot due to their inability to not be suspicious tend to use the dead ringer. As for other unlocks that I use:

Soldier: Equalizer, except when on attack with cp and sometimes carts I go with the Pain Train, Buff Banner only when playing with a well coordinated team.

Spy: Cloak and Dagger (for the spies that know what they're doing and use it right, not sit in a corner) Ambassador only if the Engie on their team is stupid and sits in a corner with his back to the wall swinging his wrench and I have no other option.

Demo: Scottsman's skullcutter, sometimes the Eyelander and Chargin Targe if I'm bored

Pyro: Axetingusher and Flare Gun (which I find makes the Pyro a more challenging class to play)

Medic: Ubersaw, Kritzkrieg on defense if there are good players to buff, and Blautsager

Sniper: Tribalmans shiv, sometimes Jarate, sometimes Huntsman

Heavy: KGB and Dolokohs Bar (just to hear the taunts)

Scout: nothing worth taking here

DiscoStan
TE Members
Forum Member

: 95

« #26 : July 02, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »

Straight up upgrades:
Blutsager
Jarate (SMG is the worst weapon in the game, IMO. IF you're using it you're not playing the sniper's strengths.)
Equalizer
Axtinguisher (or Homewrecker on defense.)
Ubersaw

Sidegrades:
All the spy unlocks: each one has its purpose depending on the situation. Most circumstances I'll use the deadringer.
Direct Hit (has potential, but not on a full 24 man server. Too much going on to aim and pick out targets.)
Buff Banner (shotgun is an incredibly underused soldier life saver, but buff banners win games.)
Targe (but only if you're good with grenades)
Sandwich
Kritzkrieg

Everything else is either situational or a downgrade from the base weapons.
Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #27 : July 02, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »

Honestly, after they buffed the needlegun, I've found it to be much better. And I always use the shotgun, ha ha. It does a lot of damage, and it reloads wuickly. Great weapon.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: