Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:34:51 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  Unlocks-useful?
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Unlocks-useful?  ( 2092 )
Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 123

« : June 26, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »

So I am honestly interested (and not in any way starting a thread to get 20 posts) in what people think about unlocks in general. For my four main classes (Sniper, Scout, Spy and Soldier), I only actually use two unlocks, those being the tribalman's shiv, and the jarate. The rest I just don't bother using. How you y'all feel about unlocks? Are there others of a similar mind? Or am I alone out here?

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #1 : June 26, 2010, 06:01:53 PM »

They're good becausse they add more variety to the game play. But generally the original weapons are better suited to that class. Another advantage is mixing weapons for the same classes to better effect. Like, you have two heavies, one using Natascha and the other using the minigun; powerful combo.

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #2 : June 26, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »

I agree that for some classes, unlocks can be very useful (I'm looking at you medic), but I feel that for some of the classes, there's absolutely no point in using the upgrades. Spy and Scout are Chief among those.

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #3 : June 26, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »

I use kritzkreig on defensive medic, uber on offense.
Huntsman on offense (typically) and rifle on defense.
Standard weaponry for Demo and Soldier gets Gunboats. 

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #4 : June 26, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »

There's a few thing I don't know how I used to live without, but a lot of it is kinda usless, like the back burner.

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #5 : June 26, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

I use quite a few of them. Lets see if I can remember them all:
Pyro - Backbuner, Axetingisher
Scout - FAN, BONK Energy Drink
Sniper - Shiv
Solider - Buff Banner, Equalizer
Heavy - Sandvich, Boxing Gloves
Demo - Eyelander
Spy - Abassador, Cloak and Dagger
Medic - Ubersaw, Blutslager

So out of all the classes I use 14 of them.
« : June 26, 2010, 10:13:51 PM Giant Flying Head »

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #6 : June 27, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »

I agree that for some classes, unlocks can be very useful (I'm looking at you medic), but I feel that for some of the classes, there's absolutely no point in using the upgrades. Spy and Scout are Chief among those.

Mixing up dead ringer / cloak & dagger can be useful. Enemy is never sure which you're using. Also, ambassador is good for ambushing, but typically a backstab is better.

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #7 : June 27, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »

Mixing up dead ringer / cloak & dagger can be useful. Enemy is never sure which you're using. Also, ambassador is good for ambushing, but typically a backstab is better.

I will occasionally use the ambassador, if there's an engy that I can't get to. Like he's barricaded himself in a corner with his sentry and his dispenser. Having the ability to two shot him is great, so long as I can put myself somewhere where I don't get filled with holes.

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #8 : June 27, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »

I guess I used the flare gun for so long I forgot it was an unlock.  I love lighting up snipers with that.

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

« #9 : June 27, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »

I like the flare, and I had gotten pretty good with it, but I still prefer the one-two punch with the shotty.

The ambassador I have a love hate relationship with. It's ok at moments, at certain moments, like when a sniper is using a razorback, but as a regular backup weapon to the knife it's far too fickle of a weapon, imo.

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #10 : June 27, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »

For killing snipers with the razorback, I honestly just use the revolver. Three hits and they're usually down, which is before 98% of them can react.

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #11 : June 27, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »

I dislike the flare gun. Mainly cause it doesn't do the job of a side arm. I like having the shot gun to finish off people that run away after being lit on fire.

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
Crimshadow
TE Recruits
Forum Member

: 27

« #12 : June 28, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »

The medic's definitely are the most positive, although I am only rarely in favor of krits. I can't believe no one has brought up the pain train. It isn't worth beans on defense, but it shines on offense. On the solider it is only so-so due to the slower run speed, but on the demo you can sticky jump to the point and then count like a scout. As far as the cloak and dagger, I don't know how I got by without it. The dead ringer certainly adds something to the spy as well, but why would you ever go back to the original cloak watch with the cloak and dagger out there?

I think the biggest problem I have with the unlocks is that people misuse them, like a heavy eating a sandvich while being healed by a medic. (grounds in my opinion to be decapitated by an ubersaw), or demo's charging headlong into a hail of instant death because they think a claymore cuts bullets?

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

« #13 : June 28, 2010, 09:52:02 AM »

I honestly have found the CnD to be useless. You can't move quickly without depleting the cloak gauge, it encourages standing still (which is not the best idea for a spy), and most egregiously, you can't pick up metal to replenish your cloak. The ability to replenish your cloak in that fashion is what makes the regular watch shine. By knowing the map well, you can remain invisible indefinitely, while still moving around and setting up for the kill. There are certain locations where standing still and remaining invisible would benefit a spy (I'm looking at you, rocky outcropping to the left of the spawn door on Goldrush-1, and the fence overlooking hte spawn door on Goldrush-3), but those are isolated locations, surrounded by obstacles you can just simply hide behind. All in all, I feel the original Spy Watch is simply the best available.

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

« #14 : June 28, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »

There's lots of good places to wait for prey, and not have to wait long. To be, with how I play it, the CnD makes for a slower spy experience. Well, as slow as spying can be I guess. There's certainly times I wish I could pick up some metal to bring the cloak back up, but overall, I like the careful stalking of people more than the fast movement of the original watch.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: