Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:12:53 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  Looking for Laptop help
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Looking for Laptop help  ( 1826 )
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #15 : September 21, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »

Fairly little the way my mom packs for a trip. WHat you've also gotta remember is that she'll spend weeks travling on her bike sometimes. So everything from blankets and sleeping bags are packed in those saddle bags. Of which she'd be packing her lappy in as well.

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #16 : September 21, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »

then I would lean toughbook then latitude...  one of my engineers dropped his laptop on the marble floor of the Hilton in Guam and he only lost the monitor for about an hour... it came back after some playing with the lid...  I'd still go toughbook first tho.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

: 4349

Baller

MSN Messenger - JMess_22@hotmail.com
« #17 : September 21, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »

My advise would be to get a Dell normally BUT, since she is leterally taking it "On the Road" in a Saddle bag on a Harley.

GET A PANASONIC TOUGH BOOK.

We use them at work for all the trucks and they leterally take a beating and keep going. Bouncing around all the time getting stuff spilled on them etc.

If you haul a laptop around on a bike all the time it will need to be tougher than if you are carrying a standard one around in a laptop bag to you car taking a nice short gentle ride to work or whatever and walking to and from the car etc.

It may be more expensive but will pay for itself in reliability and durability.

I would agree.  Those things are great, and they are not going to break.  Thats her best bet.  When your on something like a bike, there is all sorts of shit that can happen, not to mention normal wear and tear from being away for weeks on end.  After a while you just don't pay attention.  Tough book is the way to go.  

~Wonder.  

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

<TE|EasyJ> Death u left ur anal beads on the floor in my bathroom
DEATHHAVEN
Inactive
Forum Member

: 84

« #18 : September 23, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »

yup tough book
hakksaww
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 118

« #19 : September 24, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »

spendy and heavy.

very heavy.

that level of shock protection comes at a steep price of weight and overall "kluge-i-ness". I had one for a few months. Keyboard action was awesome, but it was a real lugger. Close to 15 lbs overall.

That being said, and given that she won't be doing massive coding or anything - TABLETS ARE AWESOME. And there are rugged tablets (but they are ~$3000.

For a straight tablet (no keyboard - pen driven) I love my Fujitsu Stylistic. Battery lasts FOREVER, charges via a 12 volt cigarette lighter, tough as shit, and i slap on a hockey-puck style GPS and use it for navigation as well. My wife uses it ALL the time. Loves it.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=ST5112&ptype=TB

The thing is tits. Virtual keyboard for typing, light as shit, and slicker than beaver turd. And you can get out for ~1500 for a slick machine. That is, if she is comfortable without the keyboard. My wife loves it for browsing, email, etc.

TX_Bandit
Too young to die!
Forum Freak

: 258

« #20 : September 25, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

The thing is tits. Virtual keyboard for typing, light as shit, and slicker than beaver turd. And you can get out for ~1500 for a slick machine. That is, if she is comfortable without the keyboard. My wife loves it for browsing, email, etc.

Ummmmm this is for your Mom right? I believe she already has "tits"

hakksaww
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 118

« #21 : September 26, 2008, 07:57:50 AM »

yes, but do those tits get email and web browsing and 4 hour charges at a time?

If so, I wish to propose immediately.

The tablets even have nipples!

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: