Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 03:51:43 AM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Talk Back
| | |-+  I honestly hate this whole every child is a winner shit
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: I honestly hate this whole every child is a winner shit  ( 1345 )
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« : September 14, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »

Here is a letter that got sent home with one of my friends kids.

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #1 : September 14, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »

LOL I find it funny that you can't pass out invitations, but you're more than welcome to send food.  Wow!

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Smurfette
TE Senior Member
Forum Slut

: 691

Watch out! I'm armed!

« #2 : September 14, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »

Unfortunately, that is the way it is.  My daughter took an invitation to her bday party last year to school for one friend particular who just had moved and I had lost her mom's cell number.  It was a special invitation with a note to her mom in it from me for her to call me with all my phone numbers in it.  I trusted my daughter to take and give it directly to the child.  No problem.  Before school at breakfast is not disturbing anything as far as learning or class time goes.  WRONG!  My daughter got in major trouble for it and I got a nasty letter sent home for what I let her do.  Needless to say I called the school and chewed them out for punishing her for what I did...but they still insisted it was wrong.  I tried to point out that giving one single invitation during breakfast time (NOT class time where learning is disturbed) was not hurting anything, and technically school had not "officially" started yet, so she was not breaking any rules.  They would not have it.  And what is even worse, we are not aloud to send in treats for our kids for birthdays.  The school celebrates all birthdays in the month on the last Friday of the month with sitting all birthday kids at a special table and giving them a cupcake and singing to them.  Now tell me that is not singling kids out.  What about the poor children who do not have birthdays during the school year (like my son who was born in July)  Where the hell does that leave them?  And for parents like me who limits my kids sugar due to the fact she has severe ADHD, how is this helping to promote "good eating habits" and help her not have the sugar that she does not need to fuel her behavior! 

Sorry, you can all blame Video for getting me started.  You better hope my hubby don't see this, he will go off also.  But it is true Video, I agree with you that it is insane that you can't even take a birthday invitation to school anymore.  Idk about any of you, but when I was in school, my mom would bring cupcakes to the school right before lunch time and the teacher would let me pass them out for my birthday (they did this with all kids), and ad I got older, I would take invitations and hand them out to all my friends as I would see them in class throughout the day.  As long as it was done before the bell rang for class to start, the teachers never said anything about it.  What has our school system come to!?

Speng
Inactive
Forum Member

: 87

AOL Instant Messenger - Shiunsai7
« #3 : September 14, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »

I think it's also bullshit. Personally, I think that it's good that not every kid gets an invitation, even if it bums them out. It's not a great idea to teach them that they should deserve something (in this case an invitation) just because they happen to be there. Yes they might get upset, but learning how to deal with that is also a part of life.
As a disclaimer, I don't have kids, so I could potentially be talking out my arse...we'll see if I ever have one/more

Supercallousedfragilemystichexedbyhalitosis
Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 272

« #4 : September 14, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »

hell, my mom brought a birthday cake for me to my first real job...talk about embarrassing.

fraggle 79

« #5 : September 14, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »

Too much P.C shit being pushed around these days...... Hell at this rate they'll ban birthdays all together.....

Teacher:  "No Timmy, you can't celebrate your birthday... it's the day you popped out of your mother's vagina 6 yrs ago
                after 18 hrs of labor,,, frankly it's disgusting. Tell your family... no birthdays can be celebrated at school."

Timmy:   "Waaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"
MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #6 : September 15, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »

LOL !!

Rally Pig
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 213

AOL Instant Messenger - Evel+knievel31
« #7 : September 16, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

This is complete bullshit, i dont have any kids yet and this shit sends me off the fucking deep end, when i went to school on someones B-Day they would bring in cupcakes and there was some one that was a jahovas witness (i think, i know they didnt celebrate any holidays) they were actually asked to leave the class for that time...now this was elementary school (im 27 now), and only since i graduated Highschool (10 years ago) did all this retarded BS start comming around....

Smurfette for them to punish your daughter i would have done the same thing, she didn't do anything wrong AT ALL

I swear its getting to the point where all the school districts are doing now is turning kids into little bitches, next thing you know they will rid all schools of athletics cause they think everyone should win, im sorry but kids need to learn that in life you DONT win all the time, and life IS NOT fair....regardless if they won or lost EVERY kids remembers dodgeball, kickball....and now school is like no everyone has to win GO SCREW YOUR SELF!!!!!!!!!!!!

But wait (im def not against video games at all obviously) its ok to tell kids everyone wins, but every kid that plays video games understands this is BS... :headbang:

wow my upload sucks

Smurfette
TE Senior Member
Forum Slut

Watch out! I'm armed!

« #8 : September 16, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

Rally, I'm taking you to my next parent/teacher conference!

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #9 : September 16, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »

Don't even get me started on everything that's wrong with that letter....

DiscoStan
TE Members
Forum Member

: 95

« #10 : September 18, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »

Wow, crazy. So at what point in these kids' development are they allowed to have fun?

I'll leave you all with a related story by the late Kurt Vonnegut...
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html
Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #11 : September 25, 2009, 02:57:56 AM »

When I was in school, some kids were just dumber than others, some kids got picked last for kickball, some kids sucked up and got special treatment, some kids failed and got held back.

What they're really doing is preparing kids to not know how to handle rejection and failure. They're teaching kids that everyone is a special unique snowflake and the world revolves around them and their sensitivities. Then, when they enter the real world it's going to be a total mindfuck "What, you mean I'm not special? You mean I actually lose at something? THAT'S NOT FAIR!!"

My fiance was an education major, she was studying to be a teacher, but all this kind of thing totally turned her off the whole thing. It's indoctrination in the worst way, it's teaching weakness instead of strength.

I don't get it, only a scant ten years ago when I was in school it was nothing like this. My theory is that this is the logical progression of the Columbine Effect (TM). First they cracked down on everything that wasn't even a threat, they put in zero tolerance policies that were ridiculous and defied all common sense. Then they hit bullying with a blunt lead hammer. They didn't address the problem, they just addressed some arbitrary, beaurocratically chosen, illogical set of standards that were meant to pass for what the problems really were. Then it became about keeping everyone high on their own shit, self esteem came before learning how to live life. The thought process seems to be "If everyone is special, no one will feel like an outcast. Therefore, no one will shoot anyone." And all of this craptacular thinking was set into motion long before anyone even had a clear idea what really happened at Columbine.  (If you're interested in what really happened I highly recommend the book Columbine by Dave Cullen. I think this is the only book that truly understands what caused that tragedy)

This, and much else really turns my fiance and I off of public schools, I just don't want to deal with all of it.

/rant

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

Smurfette
TE Senior Member
Forum Slut

Watch out! I'm armed!

« #12 : September 28, 2009, 01:38:16 PM »

As if the birthday issue is not enough, I just got a letter sent home from school that informs the parents of the upcomming Halloween party.  They are asking for volunteers to help.  And, low and behold, at the bottom of the page in big bold black letters it says NO COSTUMES ALOUD!!  What the hell is a halloween party with no costumes to show off to your friends at school!  Are they going to tell me they are afraid my son's Bumblebee Transformer costume or my daughter's princess costume is going to scare someone?  Come on - get a grip!

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #13 : September 28, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

that is FUCKING PATHETIC.  I will call that school and bitch at them on your behalf.

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #14 : September 28, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »

What's the reasoning behind not having costumes?

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: