Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:45:09 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  CPU usage
« previous next »
: [1]
: CPU usage  ( 856 )
Toofy
Forum Enthusiast

: 109

EAT SAY-SAGE!

« : January 11, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »

This may not be anything serious, but I'm running on an AMD Athalon 64 3200 that I just got, and when I run games, its running at 100% cpu (as noted on my logitech g15), this may not be anything since the last one I had was a P4 3.0 ghz with hyper threading and the CPU was never even close to 100%, it may have been the hyper threading that did that, but anyway. The only things I see problems on are games, and when I INSTALL games...like when I installed Dawn of War, my cpu usage shot up to 90-100% and lagged up my comp, and sometimes even crashed it...the processer driver was probably not installed so I reinstalled that, it fixed the crashing but the CPU still jumps up that high...so...is this normal? is something fucked? is anything wrong?
cole

« #1 : January 13, 2006, 07:50:11 PM »

no man, that's not normal

what mobo do you have?  maybe you need to update your bios.  Did you just swap out the chips and if so did you do a clean install?
Zepultura

« #2 : January 14, 2006, 03:15:05 AM »

I have good news and bad news... Unfortunately the good news sucks ass also.

You built this PC yourself Im assuming.
You are using a mobo monitoring software pack like ASUS PC Probe or similar.
Q-Fan control is enabled in BIOS.

If you meet 2 of thos 3 above correct them. Sounds like you fried the CPU though. Hence the first line. You should (!!) see a 14% CPU usage EXCEPT the first time you hit ctrl+alt+del and check Performance, which spikes it up to ~100. Either that (hers the "Good News" you have virii and/or spyware) Software issues are always considered Good News, they dont mean buying or replacing shit.
Also remember this, no offense, the AMD 64 3200 is slower than a Barton 2500+, if you go 64 bit CPU SPEND THE MONEY PEOPLE! wait a month if needed but only good 64s are the X2s 4400, 4800 and the single core 4000s... the others only give you gains in Office Software not so much games (except Fart Cry).

Last note: check your BIOS to see if CPU is reporting correct speed : RAM profile; may need to change that.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day! Be a Farrakhan and go shoot 2 black men to make yourself more important!
Deimos

« #3 : January 14, 2006, 05:11:16 AM »

I dunno where you're getting your info there buddy. The barton may be clocked faster than a 3200+ A64, but it doesn't process better.

My advice, download the latest updates for your motherboard, BIOS and such. Look at your process list and see what is using all the CPU, it could be a broken program or virus, not necessarily a damaged CPU. I've had a couple programs that occassionally bug and take 100% of my CPU, but as soon as I end process, everything goes back to normal.

Also, most damaged CPUs just plan don't work, or constantly throw blue screens and crashes, this doesn't fit the MO.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: