Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:49:27 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  cd rom cache
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: cd rom cache  ( 1548 )
Pastry Engineer Ph

« : June 14, 2005, 11:38:37 AM »

does anyone here know how to change/lower the cd-rom cache in xp?
Death_ADDER
TE Members
Godlike

: 4390

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #1 : June 14, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »

no sir I'm sorry I have no clue.

Steve
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« #2 : June 14, 2005, 12:02:51 PM »

cache?? the cache is built into the drive. you cannot change it.

Pastry Engineer Ph

« #3 : June 14, 2005, 12:34:18 PM »

oh, alright...
well,  im trying to run a program which asks me to insert a disc, even when the disc is in the drive.  the advice to 95/98 users with this problem was...

"Due to the amount of information on the disc, you will need to adjust your CD-Rom settings. To do this go into the control panel, system properties. Click on performance and then file system. Select CD ? Rom and you will be able to adjust the supplemental cache size. Upon adjusting the setting you will need to restart your PC. Adjusting these settings should enable to CD drive to read the disk correctly."

i was wondering how youd do that for xp
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #4 : June 14, 2005, 01:00:03 PM »

give me a little more info.

What is the name of the disk??
Was it made a long time ago when there was only win 95/98??
Is it a recorded disk??

anything you have will help

Widow

I just found this.

http://www.softwareanalysis.com/

scroll down to the link for CDFS and download the program. Not sure what it will do or if it was meant for windows XP but try it out.

Later
« : June 14, 2005, 01:16:17 PM WidowMaker »

Pastry Engineer Ph

« #5 : June 14, 2005, 01:50:41 PM »

i used nero to burn an iso file of final fantasy viii onto a cd-r.  after installing, it wont read the disk because of the explanation above.  it was made in 2000 as a ps1 port to PC.  the FAQ included this issue but i dont knw how to adjust the "supplemental cache size" on xp.

i tried different figures for the CDFS but you just increased the cache sizze by entering in a positive integer to multiply the original default figure...but thanks
Mekstar

« #6 : June 14, 2005, 04:51:07 PM »

dood, did u just burn the image flie (iso) straight to the disk without compressing it. if so you need to get winZIP, compress that iso seperate from whatever other files you are trying to install from that disk. re-burn the compressed files, put the disk in drag them to your HD, then unZIP the shit. and install. your probably freaking your drive out lloking for information on a presumably very large iso file. iso's are usually fragmented just like info on your HD. cd roms arent designed to act like HD's they sacn in line not back and forth.
Pastry Engineer Ph

« #7 : June 14, 2005, 05:51:53 PM »

well, its not that, i already burned a lot of iso images on to cds and installed games and programs that worked successfully.  the game was composed of five iso files, one for installation and the other four for playing the game.  i already installed it and when i play, it cant read the disk presumably because of whatever the quote said on the webpage since other users with legit discs were having problems
Cole

« #8 : June 15, 2005, 05:50:23 AM »

control panel --> system --> device manager --> PCI devices/CD-ROM --> settings

In there you will be able to change the read (ahead) cahce (which is different from the burst hardware buffer)

Another easier way.

rt click on MyComputer, click on performance.  Click on File System.  Click on CD-ROM.  Set your cache size there.
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #9 : June 15, 2005, 07:13:02 AM »

Hey cole, What operating system you working on???
There is no performance tab in windows XP.
There is no cd cache setting in windows XP.
It has to be done somewhere in the registry.

there has not been a preformance tab since windows ME :puke:

Also an ISO image is an exact image of a cd, so all you have to do is burn it to a cd and it formats all the files and structure the way it was originally created.

I am researching, give me a few.

Also try here to fix games that have been recorded.

www.gamecopyworld.com

click on the right side where it says PC GAME INDEX on the letter for the game.
alot of game have protection from them being recorded so this site will pretty much fix any game.
After you click on the final fantasy 8 link, try the german crack. If not go here

http://fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=29263&highlight=Final+Fantasy+VIII
and ask them!!!

Later

Widow
« : June 15, 2005, 07:18:34 AM WidowMaker »

Cole

« #10 : June 15, 2005, 07:23:03 AM »

I thought he was talking about windows 98.  What the problem was back then was with the read ahead buffer and the write speed.  If the write speed was too high, and the buffer was too low, you get the picture.  XP got rid of the ASPI layer and made the handling part of the OS kernel.  No more need to worry.  Now buffer underrun is controlled by speed, hardware buffers and writing to the disk. 

oh..lol. now i see that he wants xp.  I'm not sure if it can be changed, but if so it's either through the device manager or reg. entries.  I'd be wary of giving advice on the registry values without a list of system specs and drive hardware specs of course. 
« : June 15, 2005, 07:32:47 AM Cole »
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #11 : June 15, 2005, 07:32:46 AM »

Since this a problem with final fantasy 8, I found this for you. If you do not know how to edit the registry then let me know.

http://www.mgforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-35895.html

Later

Widow

Cole

« #12 : June 15, 2005, 07:40:29 AM »

Good find widow.  I would imagine that would be an installer coding error that just assumes that everyone installs to C:/

So chef, did you install it to a drive other than c: ?
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

« #13 : June 15, 2005, 08:15:37 AM »

Hey Cole I don't actually think it is a program code, It actually does that to check the cd. The registry setting will probably be pointed at the cd rom, cause thats where the program wants to check the cd rom. It is how the company's try to keep people honest!!

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Widow

Cole

« #14 : June 15, 2005, 08:25:50 AM »

But if the disk is in the CDROM drive, you would be all set then.  Or is this only if you want to no-disk it and keep the iso's on a HDD?  If so, they could have made it a little harder.  At least make you download a crack so you get a trojan.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: