Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:12:15 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  PC just shuts off
« previous next »
: [1]
: PC just shuts off  ( 658 )
RaGe
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

: 476

« : April 19, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »

Been having this issue lately and I can't figure it out. At first I thought something was over heating, but everything is running smooth and cool. I have browsed around and people are saying test the power supply. It is less then 3 months old but i guess it could be going. It only happens when I play tf2 however, and usually right at the start. I will get into a server and choose a team and BAM, down it goes. I boot back up and join the game and it works just fine sometimes. Its driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?
TX_Bandit
Too young to die!
Forum Freak

: 258

« #1 : April 19, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »

Clarify something. You say the PC shuts off. By that do you mean that it litereally powers off immediately or does it go to a blank, balck whatever screen and you have to manually have to power it off and back on. Thats important as to whether it totally shuts off immediately on it's own or you just get knocked out of TF2 and windows etc is gone.

What are the specs of the PC ?

What OS XP or Vista

Did you build it yourself?

What make/model video card and what version drivers are you running in it?

Memory is matched or is some old and some new. All the same make/mfg speed etc

Is that the ONLY time it evers exhibits the problem? With TF2?  Have you run a video stress test on it.

A couple things to check or do right away................ Reseat ALL power supply cables to the motherboard and video card. Reseat the memory.

If it ONLY happens with TF2 and not any other game then I would suspect a driver issue/conflict with TF2 or Direct X issue possibly.

Post back

RaGe
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

: 476

« #2 : May 12, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »

forgot i made this post. Talked to video and mdk one night and discovered it was my psu. It wasen't powerfull enough to run my rig. Bought this http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-crossfire.html
and not problems since.

Thanks guy and thanks for the quick reply bandit.
byrnie
SPRITZERS!
Inactive
Forum Freak

: 209

I'll even try to knife you with my skate...

« #3 : May 12, 2008, 06:07:03 PM »

Somewhat related I guess, my wireless (I play on my laptop, not the greatest gaming tool but it works) will randomly shut off and won't turn back on unless I restart. Not a big problem as it doesn't happen too often but it is annoying once in a while. Any ideas? Not gonna lie I am not all that computer savy so if there is no simple response I suggest not bothering lol

TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #4 : May 13, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »

is it vista or XP?  Vista still has tcp stack problems that is either driver related or just something wonky in the OS.  if its XP then I would go drivers and make sure you have the latest and that your wireless signal isn't being /cough shared /cough by someone you don't want on it for PRON.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: