Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:08:41 PM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  latency
« previous next »
: [1]
: latency  ( 1134 )
Shmotz
Godlike

: 2910

Just a Badass

« : March 31, 2006, 09:41:50 AM »

hey, anyone know how i can bring my latency down? im on cable, and my ping is always low 30's, but sometimes my latency will skyrocket, sometimes enough to get me kicked...my fps is in the 100's...any ideas?
HongKongPhooey
Administrator
Godlike

: 3832

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #1 : March 31, 2006, 11:39:49 AM »

Next time your ping skyrockets run a tracert to our server to see where the problem lies.

Number One Super Guy!!!

Shmotz
Godlike

Just a Badass

« #2 : March 31, 2006, 10:40:26 PM »

and how do i do that
Bort

« #3 : April 03, 2006, 01:01:41 AM »

Hi,
There's nothing you can do to change your latency. Latency depends on server response, right HKP, between hops your connection is going through. But there isn't anything you can do about it unless you own your cable company and buy another, faster, tower to hop to rather than using the one that's spiking at times because of possible tech. difficulties.

Sorry, Shmotz, but it's not something you can control. The tracert command will tell you how many hops there are between you and the pub server you're on and it will tell you which hop the slow one is. But there's no way a joe schmoe can (legally!!) control their hops.

"What's a 'hop'?": It's the towers/servers that send and recieve internet connection for each different area all over the world. Each server the connection stops at to distribute itself to ISP's and then to customers is a "hop".
The average of speed (in milliseconds) between each hop from you to what you're connecting to is your latency.

All the tracert command does is give you information on your hops. In a language that if you're not keen on these kinds of things would be japanese to you.

Legal schmegal you say? See if HPK will teach you how to do all you'll need to know. I like ya bro but I'm not that willing...lol

Latency spikes are just something everyone has to deal with.
Call Bill Gates and bitch? Who owns Comcast? Get us their number too.
Snoop dog dogclan

« #4 : May 30, 2006, 06:26:55 AM »

Wow get a load of captain bringdown! lol Well Shmotz your gonna have to check into that internet connection cause it seems highly likely that could be the cause...
Shmotz
Godlike

Just a Badass

« #5 : May 30, 2006, 06:11:21 PM »

jesus snoop...you're worse than silent....the last post on this was april 3rd! wow....thats damn near 2 months old....cmon man
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #6 : June 10, 2006, 04:37:26 AM »

I've been having the smae problem of late Shomtz. So even without looking here I instintively went to do a tracert. Been using it for years but haven't had to in a very long time. So it turns out my ISP had tracert and ping commads from the prompt firewalled or something because everything is comming back timmed out. I tried even pinging big sites like msn.com. Nothing. *huff*

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
TroN_

« #7 : June 28, 2006, 11:06:20 PM »

Sometimes i get high lats when i am running P2P programs, or just any random program, but your problem is probably out of your reach.

TroN_
Shmotz
Godlike

Just a Badass

« #8 : November 25, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »

nice to see my laggg is still fucked
Ender
Inactive
Forum Freak

: 220

Bitch...

« #9 : January 29, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »

If you guys think that your lats is high when its in the low 30's then I think there is a problem.  CS:S has a built in script that accounts for small amounts of lag.  I don't think you will have any problems in the game.  My lats is usually around 110 during the day and I still own on people.  Try messing with your rates using MDK's useless crap.

Cordially,

Future Ender
: [1]  
« previous next »
: