Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:06:36 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  Headphones
« previous next »
: [1]
: Headphones  ( 1635 )
{VT} Larry the Cucumber
Noob

: 15

« : July 11, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »

Ok peeps.....who is using surround sound headphones and which ones should i get? I have looked around and can't find a lot of info or reviews about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from.. anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
Larry

ColdNestea
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 101

The best drink on the planet.

AOL Instant Messenger - Beyond+Baller
« #1 : July 11, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »

I wouldn't spend more than $50, if you surpass that you're wasting your money if the headphones are only for CS.

{VT} Larry the Cucumber
Noob

« #2 : July 12, 2007, 07:24:04 AM »

Ok but what brand and model?

ColdNestea
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 101

The best drink on the planet.

AOL Instant Messenger - Beyond+Baller
« #3 : July 12, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »

Honestly, I don't think it matters, for me any headphones have been fine for CS.  It depends on your situation - if you use a mic just as often maybe you should get a headset.  It all depends on your uses and where you're loooking to buy it - I get mine from a small general store.  You don't need anything high end - just something that'll do the job if it's specifically for gaming.

{VT} Larry the Cucumber
Noob

« #4 : July 12, 2007, 08:25:11 AM »

Yeah but there are a few out there that are surround sound which would enable you to actually hear things above and beneath you. Of course you have t have a decent sound card as well... i have a great headset now but its not surround.

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #5 : July 12, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »

Larry, best advice I can give is if you have a good set of hp now stick with them.

Most all of the surround ones have some sort of built in soundcard and are quirky as hell, not worth the trouble. A lot of soundcards and maybe the one you have now, have some sort of virtualisation setting that mimics surround. I'm using a set of 40 dollar plantronics that completely cover my ears, and a x-fi fatality pro card. The card is the best investment I have made so far and it even makes crappy walkman type head sets sound good.

{VT} Larry the Cucumber
Noob

« #6 : July 12, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »

Ok! well i have a good sound card and great HP by syntheiser or however you spell it... i just thought that maybe the surround headphones would make a difference in really hearing where people are more... which would probably make it look like hacks

WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« #7 : July 12, 2007, 10:57:03 AM »

The surrond sond headphone have actually been reviews by a few guys from the cal website. Go to the forums on the cal site and look up surrond headphones.

these seem to be the best

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-progamer-edition-v2-p-896.html

they plug right into your existing surround sound card

Widow

{VT} Larry the Cucumber
Noob

« #8 : July 12, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »

Thanks widow!!!!!

HeyNOW!
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 169

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #9 : September 24, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »

I'm actually using X-Fi as well, with some cheap logitec headphones, and it seems Like I can hear much more than most. I think the soundcard has much more to do with it than the headphones.The headphones actually have great response and are light, so they are comfortable as well. I cannot vouch for the mic, as I don't usually talk due to the fact that I usually play at night with my wife sleeping 1 room over.
Baz
Forum Member

: 85

You are your own person... Take Responsibility.

« #10 : November 04, 2007, 11:21:15 PM »

I'm a huge audiophile. Sound clarity and range are a big thing for me. It has to be good not only for games, but also music and movies. Currently I'm using a 5.1 surround headset made by LTB (Listen To Believe). It actually has 6 individual speakers (3 per ear). It's an earmuff design headset and each speaker is positioned to mimic a full home theater surround system. The audio driver is a USB sound board they have. Yes it's technically a usb headset, but there is the non usb version where if you already have a nice soundcard you can plug it into that. I have their older version, which was basically the only product they sold at the time, but their line has extended into a bunch of products now. Some of which are actually Dolby Certified. www.ltbaudio.com Check em out. But of course read into the reviews and forums. Always do your own research. Not everyone has the same tastes. CNET is a good place to look. Or just google the product name/model with "review" at the end and it usually brings you a lot of pages of reviews.
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #11 : November 13, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »

I have the Tritton AX360 headphones.  They have 4 speakers in each ear but are great and very comfortable.

thefunk
Forum Member

: 25

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #12 : November 15, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »

I would agree with HeyNow that the sound card is really the biggest factor. I have a pair of cheap headphones made by some company called Jensen that I've been using for years. With these, I can still pick up all kinds of sounds during gameplay. I'm not an audiophile and I can't really differentiate sound quality after a certain point, so my opinion is that you don't really need a super-expensive pair of headphones for CS:S. I think the gameplay advantage is negligible.

I've been lazy and procrastinating in replacing the headphones but they get uncomfortable without the pads. I'm thinking of picking up these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106024

I have another pair of headphones that are big and cup your ear but that pair's also pretty crappy - after a while it feels like my head is in a clamp and it gives me a headache.
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #13 : November 16, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »

Here is a link to the headset I have.  Finally remembered to post it up here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235001

Noobinhood
TE Senior Member
Forum Freak

: 208

« #14 : January 25, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »

i am useing the plantronics dsp-500, its a great headset.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: