Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:17:31 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  New Motherboard/Hard Drive suggestions
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: New Motherboard/Hard Drive suggestions  ( 2484 )
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« : October 10, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »

I'm in the market for a new motherboard (Mine's a bit outdated. I'm out of USB + SATA ports. :P), and a new SATA hard drive to replace my last 2 PATA ones.

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what I get.

Here's some info:
Processor: e8400 (1333 FSB)
At least 4 slots for RAM
At least 6GB max RAM
ATX form factor
I only need one PCI-E slot
Does not need onboard video
At LEAST 2 PCI slots. (That wont be covered by my double-sized graphics card)
Not looking to spend more than $150

And for the hard drive:
It's replacing a 300 and a 250 (279 and 232)
>500 GB, <1TB
SATA2, of course.
Not looking to spend more than $100
Thanks for the suggestions.

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 272

« #1 : October 10, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »

I'm an ASUS fan...
My current build is on an AMD processor, but if I was looking for a core duo mobo, this is the one I would be looking at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4244467

It's $10 more than you wanted to spend (and another $10 if you go with newegg), but it's got 10 USB ports (6 rear), and 6 SATA ports.

As for HDDs, you might as well get a 1 TB drive...tiger has several for under $100...like this one (including 1 TB drives w/ a 32 MB cache with a 3gb transfer rate):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4426054&CatId=2459

I've got a 1 TB Hitachi right now, and haven't had any problems with it.

Have fun!

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #2 : October 10, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »

Asus is a great company, but you do pay a bit more for the brand name. Personally I've been using Gigabyte boards for awhile now with no issues. They may lack a few of the bells and whistles of the Asus boards, but their also much cheaper.

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372

would fit all of your needs and put you in under your budget. Only one PCI-E two PCI, I think max out on the RAM is 16GB. You may want to go with a faster chipset, but I've had no issues overclocking mine. Some of their desktop software is a little wonky, but I don't ever use any of that stuff anyways.

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #3 : October 11, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »

I'm guessing you want to stay with your current processor?  If I was you, I would wait until you went i7 to get a new motherboard.  You can get the new HD now though.  I have always used Western Digital, but the "new" perpendicular recording drives from Seagate seem to be getting good reviews.  Not sure what size you want but both WD and Seagate are good companies.

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #4 : October 11, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »

EVGA for the Mobo and Seagate or WD for the HD.  Can't go wrong with those.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #5 : October 11, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@Baltika: That one looks nice, but I'd feel like I'd be wasting those other two PCI-E slots. :P I really don't ever plan on SLIing.

@Mustard: I have a Gigabyte one now, and I love it. Again I'd feel like I'm wasting something because that four (?!) PCI-E x1 slots! :P

@VIP: Yeah, I wanna stick with what I have. I mean, the cheapest i7 right now is $280. I'd rather wait till it's in the range of all the processors I have bought ($150-$190), which it will be eventually. Also, I CAN'T get the new HD now because I'm out of SATA ports on my motherboard! :P The one I have only has 4, and I already have 3 HDDs and an ODD in it.

@Video, the cheapest EVGA boards are $110 after MIR. They both only have 4 USB ports, and one is splitting them to 6 (and personally I think EVGA should stick to graphics cards and stop overcharging for motherboards. :P)
« : October 11, 2009, 03:22:35 PM crazydog »

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #6 : October 11, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

Well from your situation now, I'd say wait until X-mas or the first of the year.  No need to upgrade if you're keeping the same cpu.

From VIP to RIP

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #7 : October 11, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »

Also, I CAN'T get the new HD now because I'm out of SATA ports on my motherboard! :P The one I have only has 4, and I already have 3 HDDs and an ODD in it.

I don't understand this...you're going to "replace" 2 of the HDDs with a MONSTER HDD.  You'll keep your primary HDD and move stuff around on your other two until you can disconnect one or both of them.

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #8 : October 11, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

So, why exactly do you want a new board anyhow?

Also, this is off topic, but I get my new gear tomorrow from Newegg. Unfortunately it's also mid-terms week. AHHHH!!!!

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #9 : October 12, 2009, 02:20:46 AM »

@Baltika:
I have 4 SATA ports on my motherboard
3x are being used by hard drives
1x is being used by my optical drive.

I have 2 PATA hard drives that I want to replace with a SATA hard drive. I can't because all my SATA ports are being used!

So..

@Mustard:
I'm out of SATA ports and USB ports, and the USB hub I bought is filling up too. :P Also if I'm gonna get an i7 (see below), then I need a new one anyway.

Anyway, my suitemate just told me his dad has some position at intel, and he can get me any processor for 50% off, meaning a $280 i7 for $140 or so. If that plays out well, then I'd get that, a new motherboard, and a new HDD soon. :P
« : October 12, 2009, 04:44:22 AM crazydog »

TE_Taylormade
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

: 168

« #10 : October 12, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »

Go for the i7.  You will be floored when it arrives.  Not that this matters much, but when were in game, I am usually waiting in the room for at least 2 seconds before anyone else arrives at a map change and applications run so smooth.  I paid $1,000 for the i7 965 so not sure its really worth it after talking to some friends who have the 920.  You can oc that to get to the speed I'm running for a hell of a lot less.  The only thing is people have oc my cpu to 5.0+ but that is on water and I'm not sure I'm willing to take that chance yet.  I have all EVGA stuff and can tell you from experience, if you have a problem, they cross ship with no questions and you have your new part in 2 days.  Hard to beat their customer service.  If you go i7, make damn sure you get ram that is no higher of a voltage than 1.65 as people have had problems with overvoltages killing their cpu's and make sure you get a really good cooler for it, the stock just doesn't cut it.
V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #11 : October 12, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »

As far as pure performance go for the i7.  Especially since you can get it for 140...that's a great deal.  O'Prey can get those kind of deals if you ask him.  But, the performance difference isn't big enough to tell in game.  Your eyes can't differentiate between a 10 fps difference, and I'm sure it isn't even that much.  The only way you could tell it's an i7 is if you ran a benchmark or did a lot of rendering.

Good find for you.  Get it asap!

/end intel rant

From VIP to RIP

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #12 : October 12, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »

@Baltika:
I have 4 SATA ports on my motherboard
3x are being used by hard drives
1x is being used by my optical drive.

I have 2 PATA hard drives that I want to replace with a SATA hard drive. I can't because all my SATA ports are being used!

I missed that...
You've got 5 hard drives and you're looking for more space?  Holy damn.

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #13 : October 12, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »

i think he has 3 hard drives

From VIP to RIP

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #14 : October 12, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »

i think he has 3 hard drives
3 SATA plus the 2 PATA == 5

That case must be running out of room too.  There can't be much room in there for the extra drives...
Probably have 4x5.25 bays and 3x3.5 bays...
1 ODD
5 HDD
That leaves room for a fdd (like you need one these days, but I always stick one in anyway) and nothing else.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: