Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:27:54 AM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  Need some suggestions.
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Need some suggestions.  ( 2194 )
TE_Taylormade
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

: 168

« : March 17, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »

Hi guys,

I ordered a motherboard that MDK suggested and I just can't seem to get it to work, ASUS told me the north bridge sounds faulty.  The board is the ASUS P5N-T deluxe, 775.  The guy also said that he isn't supposed to tell me this, but they are having quite a bit of problems with this board and "if it were him buying one, he suggests the ASUS stryker 2."  What do you guys think and do you offer any suggestions on which one I should buy.  I also got the INtel core 2 duo processor but may send it back for either quad core.  What are your opinions on this?  Thanks for the help.

Taylormade
WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« #1 : March 17, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »

Hong just got the Striker II. It's a real nice board and fucking fast. It loaded Vista 64 Ultimate in less than 25 minutes. Could have been faster but I wasn't actually timing it.

Watch out for that MDK guy!!!

Widow

snyper133
Forum All-Star

: 343

Make sure you get your whole head in front of.....

AOL Instant Messenger - Backswimmer13
« #2 : March 17, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »

Ahhh well this is certainly a predicament, what do you want out of the board (other then just working)? Which Core2Duo ya got? What kind of RAM?

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #3 : March 17, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »

RMA the board and upgrade to the striker. Sounds like the tech was trying to help. It wouldnt do him any good to get you to switch boards.
If you can switch to any mobo- the EVGA 680i Sli A1 version is killer!

Stick with good 800Mhz memory, like OCZ nvidia sli. two 2 gig sticks are pretty cheap. Just make sure you only do the os install with one stick, do all the updates and then install the second.

The nvidia 8800 GT 512 is a great bang for the buck card. Get two if ya got the $$

For os, go with vista ultimate 64..

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #4 : March 17, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »

If you use a version of Vista 64bit that has SP1 already integrated into it you can do the install with all the memory in the system.

TE_Taylormade
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

« #5 : March 17, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Hey guys,

I have the OCz 800 speed 2GB ram ( 2 modules of it) and think I will go with the Striker II board.  As far as Vista, I have heard nightmares about getting it to run right, should I just stick with my Windows XP?  I have (2) 512MB 8800 GT cards and just basically want a gaming system but whatever I get will do everything I want as well.

Lookin forward to your replies.

taylor
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #6 : March 17, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »

There is nothing wrong with Vista.  You have 4GB of total RAM correct?

What proc are you running?

Once you answer those questions I will tell you how it will run.

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

« #7 : March 17, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

If you got 4 gigs of ram - no sweat.

99% of those who bitch about vista are using their old systems whose hardware may not entirely be designed for the os. Some installed early before the bugs were fixed and drivers were sorted out - so their experience would of been a bad one. Vista should run like a champ on your new stuff....

All my games run fine - no problems at all. Now here's a kicker for the XP lovers (and those who were there will admit it)

At the lan party all of the vista machines would load the maps and connect to the server in a fraction of the time it took the xp boxes.  I would be sitting in the game waiting on the others to load in. We checked and sure enough, the slow loaders had xp. So for the networking, vista is worth the extra $ right there. And provided you have the right vid card(s) which you do - it looks downright "pretty" too...I wouldnt go back, and once you try it you will understand.
« : March 17, 2008, 05:09:00 PM MR|337 »

TE_Taylormade
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

« #8 : March 17, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »

Video,

That is one of my dilemnas.  I have the 800mHz Intel Core 2 Duo, but I am thinking of sending it back and upgrading to the core 2 Quad.  I am just not sure which one to get and I want to place my order tomorrow morning.  Tjhanks

Taylor
MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

« #9 : March 17, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »

Go with the core 2 quad 6600 - several of us have it and around $250 dollars, it is a killer deal. Get one that just comes as the chip without the hs/fan, Spend around 50 dollars more for a good aftermarket one (hs/fan) and youre all set..

RaGe
TE Senior Member
Forum Pro

: 476

« #10 : March 17, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

Go with the core 2 quad 6600 - several of us have it and around $250 dollars, it is a killer deal. Get one that just comes as the chip without the hs/fan, Spend around 50 dollars more for a good aftermarket one (hs/fan) and youre all set..

Prepare to get flamed cause i did in vent when I told someone to go that route as well. Fucken haters!!!
MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

« #11 : March 17, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »

I dont care - I dont need the biggest and best, but I know what works...

wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

: 4349

Baller

MSN Messenger - JMess_22@hotmail.com
« #12 : March 17, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »

The Q6600 works really well, its easy to keep cool and you can overclock the shit out of it.  Its the best bang for the buck, and its just an overall great proc. for an amazing price.  Can't get much better than that. 

~Wonder.

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

<TE|EasyJ> Death u left ur anal beads on the floor in my bathroom
snyper133
Forum All-Star

: 343

Make sure you get your whole head in front of.....

AOL Instant Messenger - Backswimmer13
« #13 : March 18, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »

Prepare to get flamed cause i did in vent when I told someone to go that route as well. Fucken haters!!!

That is one of the most common processors to use in a neew build. After market cooling is a must have. I have a Q6700 but only because i got it for $250.

Technically there are only a few games actually designed around multi-core technology, so that is why some people will say stick to the dual cores with the higher clocks, personally I like the quad core because of the potential.

Leet your dead on the networking in Vista is absolutely incredible. I must also agree with Leet, those who bitch about Vista have:

1. Not used it.
2. Don't have the proper hardware for it.
3. Don't do research before they install, (for instance 4GB of RAM is easily fixed boot with 2GB and apply patch, or as video pointed out install SP1 and your good to go).

My frame rates while running actually only decrease by about 10% which is roughly 12 frames, when running at 150 frames per second I can afford the 12 frames.t.

TE_Taylormade
TE Senior Member
Forum Enthusiast

« #14 : March 18, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »

Cool guys, thanks.  As far as aftermarket HS, what is a good one.  I am clueless.  Thanks

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: