Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:18:17 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  My PSU is making noises...suggestions?
« previous next »
: [1]
: My PSU is making noises...suggestions?  ( 1025 )
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« : September 04, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »

This is what I get for shutting down my computer..

So for the first time in a few weeks, I actually powered off my computer, instead of putting it into hibernate.
Lo and behold when I turn it on, I hear a sound like a fan hitting a piece of metal or something (a constant jingleish sound).

I listen to my computer, and discover its my PSU.

Note that I had a previous PSU, same model, etc., RMAd because it was making a vibrating sound before, much different than this one.

I take it out of my case, flip it over, turn it on, and boom, it stops. So I'm guessing something is hanging down and touching the fan somehow.
Right now I have it upside down on top of my case...should I:

A) Leave it how it is, it's fine
B) Let Newegg replace it and not have a PSU or working desktop computer for a week or so
C) Same as above but go 'rent' a PSU from best buy
D) See if Cooler Master will replace it without needing me to send it to them first
E) Throw it out the window and buy a new PSU
« : September 04, 2008, 10:45:57 AM crazydog »

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #1 : September 04, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »

E

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #2 : September 04, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »

*sigh*
Anyone wanna buy a fully functional 550W PSU? $30? :P

PS: What does anyone think of this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182030

It's Rosewill (newegg brand), and the reviews are pretty good...and I only need a ~550W one.
« : September 04, 2008, 11:47:59 AM crazydog »

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #3 : September 04, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »

E...unless you want to take it apart, find whats hitting the fan and fix it, but most likely E.

Luggage
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 397

Just a normal homicidal piece of sapient pearwood

« #4 : September 04, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »

B / C.

You paid good money for it, get a replacement if possible; you can always sell it on ebay later if you find a great deal on another quality brand.

TX_Bandit
Too young to die!
Forum Freak

: 258

« #5 : September 04, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

You don't say how old it is but after a while most power supply fans get noisy. All you have to do is pop open the power supply. ( YES uplug it first if your not adventurous  :-D)

I have  taken many a fan be it power supply, ventilation fan,  even a CPU fan or two out  and lubed it and put i back. I have even had people I have done it for say it is quieter than when it was brand new.

It's really simple besides I would open it up no matter what and see if it is just a wire that somehow is touching the blades slightly. IF that is the case just wire tie it out of the way the way it should have been done to begin with.

When you open the PSU you have to take a couple of screws out that hold the fan to the PSU case side.  SPin the fan and you 'll probably hear of feel its a little noisy.You'll see a little paper label over the fan bearing. Just gently pry it up and off and put a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil of lightweight oil on the bearing and spin the fan till it quiets down. It won't be loud like your hearing when it's running but you should notice a difference after oiling it. It doesn't take much use a drop or two. Once it gets worked into the bearing you replace the paper label ( it's really there as a dust cover also for the bearing) replace the fan in the PSU. pop the cover screws back in replace the PSU and you done.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #6 : September 04, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »

I got this PSU back from Newegg after RMAing on 12/23/07, so it's only about 8 months old.

I'd open it up, but I'm not sure I want to void the warranty in case something worse happens.

TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #7 : September 04, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »

here's the deal.  fans are on spinners, and those spinners have bearings, and are built LESS properly/less QUALITYWISE than a hard drive...

so the fan will slowly bend that spindle, stretch that restraining pins etc if its not pointed directly straight up....

and its only guaranteed for like, 5000 hours or someshit?  I'll see if I can find that posting Iread about it on.

learn to use the power switch, or ignore it.  :)

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #8 : September 04, 2008, 06:46:57 PM »

+100

You don't say how old it is but after a while most power supply fans get noisy. All you have to do is pop open the power supply. ( YES uplug it first if your not adventurous  :-D)

I have  taken many a fan be it power supply, ventilation fan,  even a CPU fan or two out  and lubed it and put i back. I have even had people I have done it for say it is quieter than when it was brand new.

It's really simple besides I would open it up no matter what and see if it is just a wire that somehow is touching the blades slightly. IF that is the case just wire tie it out of the way the way it should have been done to begin with.

When you open the PSU you have to take a couple of screws out that hold the fan to the PSU case side.  SPin the fan and you 'll probably hear of feel its a little noisy.You'll see a little paper label over the fan bearing. Just gently pry it up and off and put a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil of lightweight oil on the bearing and spin the fan till it quiets down. It won't be loud like your hearing when it's running but you should notice a difference after oiling it. It doesn't take much use a drop or two. Once it gets worked into the bearing you replace the paper label ( it's really there as a dust cover also for the bearing) replace the fan in the PSU. pop the cover screws back in replace the PSU and you done.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #9 : September 05, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »

Dont skimp on a PSU get a good one and when I say that I mean in the $100+ range. PC Power and Cooling are one of the best with quality and least with failure rates. We spend hundreds or more on the other parts so why cut corners on the most important (and over looked) one?

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #10 : September 05, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »

Dont skimp on a PSU get a good one and when I say that I mean in the $100+ range. PC Power and Cooling are one of the best with quality and least with failure rates. We spend hundreds or more on the other parts so why cut corners on the most important (and over looked) one?

:iamwithstupid: The PSU is what makes all those expensive parts go vroom...do you really want to cheap out on the part that makes all the others work?

: [1]  
« previous next »
: