Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:46:09 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  CTF_2Fort kills the server
« previous next »
: [1]
: CTF_2Fort kills the server  ( 1108 )
TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« : October 15, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »

I have observed the map ctf_2fort causing a majority of public players to leave the server on multiple occasions in the last 2 months.
Whether it receives a successful vote or it simply comes up as the active map, 2fort effectively and reliably kills the server.

I probably should have documented it a little better, but I've observed this to happen 6 times at various times of day since the beginning of September.
I've known this to happen long before, but haven't paid as much attention to it.
As soon as it is reported that 2fort will be the next map about half the server leaves instantly, after this the players dwindle down until either the map changes and things pick back up again or until the player count reaches zero and the server is dead.

It is my request that ctf_2fort be removed from The Elders Public Server map rotation. In an effort to not reduce variety, perhaps add a different CTF map to the rotation (if they are not already in). CTF Turbine and CTF Granary both fine maps that aren't so prone to have the effect on players that 2fort does.
ctf_2fort should of course remain available for an admin to manually force a map change to it, I'm only suggesting that it be unavailable for an automated map change.

Do I say this because I don't like 2fort personally?
Yes, I would be lying to say otherwise.
But I also bring this up because it kills the server, forcing me to resort to some garbage server that I would rathar not even try.
I want to play on The Elders server and I hate to see the inclusion of a specific map so reliably causing players to leave.

2fort is a map that pretty much all players are strongly opinionated about, either you love it or you hate it.
Problem is if 50% of all players hate the map, 50% of the players instantly leave the server because of it.
Then the players who either wanted to play 2fort or decided to stick it out and wait for a new map realize they don't want to play a 4 vs 4 game so they leave too.
Server dead.
Hare Doctor
TE Members
Forum Member

: 52

The Medi Bun

« #1 : October 15, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

Haha, I left when 2fort came on last night but I was ready for a break anyway.

I think that map and other ctf maps (doublecross, turbine) are fun in smaller groups so it can feel less of a stalemate. But when the server is full I'd much rather play a big payload map.

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #2 : October 15, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »

Thursday nights are generally tough, but last night was especially difficult with 2Fort.  I personally like the map (though I dislike very few)... but I think eliminating it as an option should be considered.  Much like the Coldfront discussion.

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #3 : October 17, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

In my experience, 2fort is generally a population killer. I have been in favor of axing it for awhile. Admins can still put it on if a large crowd of regulars wants to play it.

verm
Forum Member

: 34

AOL Instant Messenger - ShopSMartGotThat
« #4 : October 18, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »

wha... wha... whaaaaat?  :cry:  but 2fort and me go back to the beginning (of TFC)...

no, but in all seriousness, even though i love the map, it DOES tend to lower player count if it gets into a stalemate (or if its a bunch of negative nancys, they leave in anticipation of being a stalemate).

maybe different map rotations for lower/higher playercounts?

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #5 : October 18, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »

Here's a solution for all ctf maps:
Shorten the time limit and/or shorten the cap limit. Right now we have it set to 30 minutes, 3 caps to win, and 3 wins for the map to change. What if we changed it to 15 minutes, 2 caps to win, and 2 wins to change? Or if we want it even faster, 10, 1, and 1.

TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« #6 : October 18, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »

Shorten the time limit and/or shorten the cap limit. Right now we have it set to 30 minutes, 3 caps to win, and 3 wins for the map to change. What if we changed it to 15 minutes, 2 caps to win, and 2 wins to change? Or if we want it even faster, 10, 1, and 1.
I wouldn't be opposed to a quick game of 2 fort. There's nothing wrong with the map or anything like that, and really my opinion of it is a non-issue anyway. The issue is that it drops the server population significantly, sometimes to zero.

The issue still remains that some players, often myself included, will disconnect as soon as 2fort is stated to be the next map. But I can agree with shortening the number of captures needed to win, this would make the game start, be a competition, and be over with.
And having just one capture puts a lot of pressure on to win, you've only got once change to keep from losing.
Yes this is a good idea.
Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 272

« #7 : October 19, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »

...The issue is that it drops the server population significantly, sometimes to zero.
The issue still remains that some players, often myself included, will disconnect as soon as 2fort is stated to be the next map.

Even though I personally like the map, I think it should be removed from the rotation.  It's true that it kills the server.

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #8 : October 20, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »

...The issue is that it drops the server population significantly, sometimes to zero.
The issue still remains that some players, often myself included, will disconnect as soon as 2fort is stated to be the next map.

Even though I personally like the map, I think it should be removed from the rotation.  It's true that it kills the server.
:iamwithstupid:

: [1]  
« previous next »
: