Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:46:42 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  Trade spamming in the server.
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Trade spamming in the server.  ( 2547 )
TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« #15 : October 07, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »

I think we should however give some simple warnings, politely explain the them that we would appreciate it if they would exit game to trade or go elsewhere that does not mind it.
Yeah, between an AFK manager, in-game messages, and a polite admin from time to time, trade spamming should be handled appropriately. Just a simple "easy on the trading guys, not during the game please"

Can we start an e-bay trading.  $.75 per trade.   Help make some money here for the servers.  That would be great.
Ha - yeah!
From what I read, apparently there are a lot of scams and underhanded marketing related to this too. This kind of thing has always existed for MMO games, but never for TF2 until now.
Honestly, mixing real money and an online game is problematic and I'm very sure Valve acutely realizes this and predicted this kind of thing before even considering an implementation.
And there are numerous protections against fraud and scams, in fact I've heard they even have protection for users who buy too much at once as that might be a stolen card.
They're doing a lot, but it can never be enough.
Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #16 : October 07, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »

lol... it'd be like eTrade or something then.

verm
Forum Member

: 34

AOL Instant Messenger - ShopSMartGotThat
« #17 : October 07, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Yea, let's not look too far into it. We're talking about trading here. Not hacking, griefing, or taking advantage of some glitch (any of which interrupt gameplay directly).

Holy made a good point that it's probably gonna settle down eventually and until then, if people get carried away with spamming messages or whatever, just ask them to stop. I doubt anyone's gonna think "OH YEA?!?!?! F- those guys, I'll trade what I want!" and keep going. If they do, chances are they are the typical server douche anyway that's gonna cause trouble one way or another. So... you move up the usual "action" ladder from kick to short bans, to perma-bans if necessary.

As a few of you pointed out, trading isn't the issue. It's the part where they get annoying. So don't act on the trading, act on the annoyance, right?

Rally Pig
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 213

AOL Instant Messenger - Evel+knievel31
« #18 : October 07, 2010, 10:02:55 PM »

Is there a way to set up a server message like when you first get in (or at least it did for no spawn camping) right dead center in the middle of the screen (similar to the @@@ command) it says to keep it to a minimum?

i also remember a AFK kicker that was in place

if i gets out of control we do have admin powers to mute/gag? lol cant trade if you cant speak or type.... :headbang1:

I like the .75 rule similar to getting taxed on Itunes  :headbang: lol (good ol NY makes you pay 1.29 ish a song GAY!)

But it may be something that has to get put in place (voted on of course) of disciplinary actions:
Maybe verbal/text warning, then a gag/mute for a set time, then a kick? 

i mean we cant completely ban it since its a part of the game now

JUST ME 2 cents

wow my upload sucks

Thalan
"THE TICK"
Inactive
Forum Freak

: 257

WIDOW pwns me in GUN GAME!!!

« #19 : October 08, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »

dont rly mind the trading i ask them to keep it to warmup and setup rounds so it doesnt get in the way of the game and so far most people have been doing that. still get the macro spam crap every now and then but its not rly getting in the way of the game anymore. doubt we rly need to do much of anything anymore. ill ask someone if there spaming it to much to stop and not trade during the gameplay if they dont listen ill gag them for the spaming and let it go from there
Taso
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 253

« #20 : October 08, 2010, 07:33:30 AM »

Whatever you guys want i guess, i just wanted to see everyone's opinion on this.

You can make the server more fun by not allowing Taso's ass to play a spy. K thx -Chesty Puller
Spevf
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 185

MSN Messenger - Spevf@hotmail.com Yahoo Instant Messenger - Spevf
« #21 : October 08, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

I have to already kick several people who just sit there and trade. It a pain in the ass. I know its part of the game and all but honestly if you are thinking about trading go to spec. finish your transaction then come back and play. The other problem it that some people also start shopping in our server. That can be done before you even log in to play. If the server is full I kick. Server not full well maybe I give them a warning, but just one. Sorry just really sick with people going AFK to long since this fucking update.

DiscoStan
TE Members
Forum Member

: 95

« #22 : October 08, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »

I think we need to bring back the AFK spec/kicker. That would solve a lot of the problems with excessive trading. Getting rid of players because they're using an implemented feature of the game is a little too harsh. 3 minutes should be more than enough to get a trade done in Spec.
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #23 : October 08, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »

I think we need to bring back the AFK spec/kicker. That would solve a lot of the problems with excessive trading. Getting rid of players because they're using an implemented feature of the game is a little too harsh. 3 minutes should be more than enough to get a trade done in Spec.

Read the whole thread plox. It's been put back in.

TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« #24 : October 15, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »

I've observed the AFK manager doing its job effectively in the last week, players who were not moving (instead trading) for too long were removed from the server. It's really helped things I think.
Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #25 : October 15, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

I've observed the AFK manager doing its job effectively in the last week, players who were not moving (instead trading) for too long were removed from the server. It's really helped things I think.

True that.  Thanks for putting that in... it's helped even with general AFK management.  Though it makes running to grab something from the fridge more difficult.  :P

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: