Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:41:59 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  How should we scramble? [VOTE!!]
« previous next »
: Which method?  (Voting closed: December 09, 2010, 04:24:51 PM)
Random - 1 (8.3%)
Score - 1 (8.3%)
Score Per Minute (current method) - 3 (25%)
Kill-Death Ratio - 0 (0%)
Swap top x players - 0 (0%)
GameME rank (overall) - 1 (8.3%)
GameME Skill (points, when you first play you start at 1000) - 0 (0%)
Global GameME Rank (over all servers running GameME) - 0 (0%)
Global GameME Skill (over all servers running GameME) - 1 (8.3%)
GameMe Session (+- how many points this session) - 4 (33.3%)
Choose randomly one of the above sort methods - 1 (8.3%)
: 12

: [1]
: How should we scramble? [VOTE!!]  ( 1633 )
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« : December 02, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

Hey dudes and dudettes.

The scramble/autobalance plugin is finally being fixed (I'm sure you're all so excited about that).

One of the new features is that it can scamble based on our stats (GameME, formerly HLStatsX).

So the question is, what mode of scrambling should we do, now that we have all these new options?

Basically, for every option, the plugin tries to make it so the same number of people on each team have the same attribute value, so for GameME rank it tries to make each team have the same number of people at each rank #.

Right now I'm leaving it on "player score per minute", but depending on what wins this poll, I'll change it.

My 2 cents?
I say GameME session. Rank/Points aren't so great because the numbers don't change so dramatically. If someone's having a horrible day, their session points will be lower, so it's more accurate to real time gameplay data.

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #1 : December 02, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »

Session... sweet.  Gives the guy having a bad day a better chance.

Taso
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 253

« #2 : December 02, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »

Random. :P

You can make the server more fun by not allowing Taso's ass to play a spy. K thx -Chesty Puller
espon
TE Members
Noob

: 23

not a printer

« #3 : December 02, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

session sounds the most balanced

Luggage
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 397

Just a normal homicidal piece of sapient pearwood

« #4 : December 07, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »

As it is. 

2nd choice would have been overall points person has.

Frag_68
Forum Member

« #5 : December 07, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »

actually, I just realized that the Session isn't necessarily a good idea.  If I've been playing for 3 hours, I could have, say 500 points.  But that doesn't mean I'm doing well - only that I've been playing longer.

I'd like to change my vote to PPM instead of session.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #6 : December 07, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »

actually, I just realized that the Session isn't necessarily a good idea.  If I've been playing for 3 hours, I could have, say 500 points.  But that doesn't mean I'm doing well - only that I've been playing longer.

I'd like to change my vote to PPM instead of session.

What if I added a scramble mode session per minute? :P

Frag_68
Forum Member

« #7 : December 07, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »

Wouldn't score per minute equal session per minute?

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #8 : December 07, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »

No - Stats score is different from game score. Stats score depends on who you kill, any special things you do, etc.

verm
Forum Member

: 34

AOL Instant Messenger - ShopSMartGotThat
« #9 : December 08, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »

sauce

i have been waiting for this all my life - <3

would session stats be an issue if a few/several players just joined (i.e. little to no points), or if - for example - everyone on BLU has good session stats from rolling RED, who all have really lame session stats?

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #10 : December 09, 2010, 12:18:04 AM »

sauce

i have been waiting for this all my life - <3

would session stats be an issue if a few/several players just joined (i.e. little to no points), or if - for example - everyone on BLU has good session stats from rolling RED, who all have really lame session stats?

That's why I requested they add session/time, so that's nullfied. Someone with 20 points after playing 2 minutes would have 10 "points", while someone with +2000 points after playing 3 hours would have 11 "points".

If session wins the vote, I'm gonna make an executive decision and make it session / time.

Frag_68
Forum Member

« #11 : December 09, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

Understood.  And yes, agreed.  Session points/unit time = win.

verm
Forum Member

: 34

AOL Instant Messenger - ShopSMartGotThat
« #12 : December 09, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

agreed. you nailed it.

TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« #13 : January 12, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »

also consider how long we usually play a map, it is not quite as possible for one player to build up too many points just for playing a long time - that's how it goes in 24/7 servers or ones that run a map for a longer time.

Typically if a player has a total score that is fairly high, it represents that they have done very well in a short amount of time (ie - they're probably very good).

Score Per Minute is not bad at all and I would not be against keeping it, in practice it has typically done fairly well.

Random is a bad idea because there is no shaping the results, one team could either roll boxcars or snake eyes - so to speak - and be further unbalanced.

Kill Death Radio is easily manipulated and doesn't reflect the performance of the player, especially in a game like TF2. I kind of hate when I hear people boasting about their KDR, that almost means nothing at all.

I am interested by GameME rank and Global GameME rank. This is very discriminatory and might be seen as unfair by some, but discrimination is exactly what we are trying to do really. Especially the global rank can track perpetually high scoring players and perpetually low scoring players, then try to put an even number of them on both teams.
It's an exciting thing when the top 6 pros on a server are battling it out in an even match, assisted by their average or lower skilled teammates.
A server needs to be populated by average players and it's no good to think badly of someone because they're an average player. And a balanced team has equal parts of both.
TheJuggler17
TE Members
Forum Member

: 73

AOL Instant Messenger - thejuggler0017
« #14 : January 12, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »

What is perhaps most important of all is measures to prevent re-stacking. I really like the currently implemented chat notification that a player is trying to join the opposite team after a scramble, makes other players know they're trying to be a jerk.

Also by what percentage must a vote pass to scramble teams? I suppose it really shouldn't be a straight 50/50, but I actually don't see a successfull scamble very often at all. And it baffles me why a horribly unbalanced team chooses not to scramble.
When the previous round was won by one team with no resistance at all in less than 2-3 minutes, is anybody thinking "hm, that was a fair and challenging match for everybody"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: