Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:22:19 AM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  New PC
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 5
: New PC  ( 5213 )
snyper133
Forum All-Star

: 343

Make sure you get your whole head in front of.....

AOL Instant Messenger - Backswimmer13
« #15 : November 20, 2007, 09:11:03 AM »

Hey Bread,

Ya have a good rig so far man. A couple of things you need to think about:

1) 5 years in the computer world is nearly unrealistic, make sure that no matter what parts you get you may have problems 5 months down the line or never. It's a game of luck.

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013&Tpk=680i%2bA1 is a much better board. More stable and for the type of processor your going for it will do a better job.

3) Leet hit it dead on get a  Q6600 or Q6700. Unless you want to waste money just skip the extreme editions.

4) Best Power Supply period. Good Job.

5) Again Leet hit it dead on. Unless you overclock don't get dominators. Dominators tend to run extremely hot before overclocking. The name of the name is cooling, the cooler the better. Leet has good RAM linked. The Funk has taken the words out of my mouth. Crucial Ballistix memory is some of the best memory and it will take advantage of the 680i chipset better then the Corsair would. Again unless you get Ultimate x64 or even XP Pro 64Bit edition ( NOT A TRUE 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM JUST HANDLES 4 GB OF RAM EFFICIENTLY) 4GB of Ram is useless the highest you'll be able to go is 3.25GB.

6) Don't raid if you will be depending on this computer especially for school. While RAID 0 (Striping) is great for performance and RAID 1 (Mirroring) is great for disaster recovery, what I would do is get a Raptor X (150GB) for your boot and programs, and a nicely sized hard drive to store all your crap on. I have a Raptor X that has Vista installed, a Regular Raptor that has XP installed, then a 400GB Seagate 7200RPM Hard drive for my files which can be accessed on both OS's. 

7) Which aquagate? If it is the S1 or something like that you'll actually get lower temps by running standard air cooling. I have personal experience (not in my rig but a replacement LCS for my buddy's peice of shit prebuilt) which the temperatures went up from the replacement. Air cooling should do you just fine unless you are overclocking. The Zalman CNPS 9500LED (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223) is one of the best silent coolers out there right now. It lowered my temps 15 degrees (C ) with artic silver 5. Oh yea get Artic Silver 5 for your thermal paste. Air cooling will be a lot easier to maintain over time as well. I am not a big fan of LCS because of the routine maintenance and plus liquid + electronics=recipe for losing a ton of money.

8) XFX, eVGA, and BFG are usually the top three brands to go with with an GeForce Graphics card. They ALL have lifetime warranties. I would probably go with XFX they have a double lifetime warranty so if you wind up selling it to a friend or giving it to a friend something like that it will be covered for them as well. Also just a technicality ASUS has been making the reference boards for the 8XXX series of cards for nVidia which gives it slight performance enhancements over a comparable card from XFX, eVga, or BFG. I would still go with an 8800GTX, if you SLI you are now looking at two possible parts that can fail, however, Fraggle does bring up a very good point about those new nVidia cards.

9) I have four SATA DVD Burners, and I can tell you my case looks so much better without IDE, but not only that they are so much faster then IDE.

10) Don' waste your money on that LAN card. You won't see a difference unless you get on a T1 or higher connection. Even then just being on a t1 or higher is going to make the bigger difference.

Sorry it was such a lengthy post, however, you did a real good job putting together your first custom computer. Welcome to the world of custom builders.

Snyper

(P.S. I don't want to get into now, however, I have had no issues with my SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music and Ultimate x64 at all.)
« : November 20, 2007, 12:41:24 PM snyper133 »

WidowMaker
Supreme Master
Administrator
Godlike

: 1622

AOL Instant Messenger - craygo69
« #16 : November 20, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »

I think I may wait for the AMD phenom chips and motherboards. I read so many complaints about all the top of the line intel boards. Very little complaints about AMD boards. I think AMD has fewer problems because the memory controller is built on the CPU. I might have to go AMD spider!!!!!

http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/AMD-Multi-Core/Quad-Core-Advantage/Spider.aspx

Widow

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #17 : November 20, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »

Yea it sucks to pay 150 bux for a sound card and not be able to use the damn thing (in vista) I had decided to put it in my vista box and it gave me nothing but grief for the few days I allowed it. Yanked it out and went back to onboard, and no problems. Made me so mad I stuck it in an envelope and sent it to some unsuspecting person. Worked like a champ in XP though. I noticed it made a diference in BF2 and Source...

wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

: 4349

Baller

MSN Messenger - JMess_22@hotmail.com
« #18 : November 20, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »

Thanks guys for the input.  Im gonna change it around alittle. 

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

<TE|EasyJ> Death u left ur anal beads on the floor in my bathroom
snyper133
Forum All-Star

« #19 : November 20, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

I think I may wait for the AMD phenom chips and motherboards. I read so many complaints about all the top of the line intel boards. Very little complaints about AMD boards. I think AMD has fewer problems because the memory controller is built on the CPU. I might have to go AMD spider!!!!!

http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/AMD-Multi-Core/Quad-Core-Advantage/Spider.aspx

Widow

Couple of things that suck about that.....

First the Phenom cores have yet to be really be benchmarked.
Second ATI graphics cards have sucked blown since the ATI merger.

I personally believe that the phenom cores will be a fad; a replacement for a lot of opteron servers but as far as the gaming/consumer market, only fanboys will go with them. I've been waiting for AMD to start challenging the market, but seeing half assed solutions like this just kind of upsets me. That's my two cents.

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #20 : November 20, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »

Have you tried the new drivers for the X-Fi cards?  They posted a new driver for vista 32bit and 64bit on 11-7-2007.  I have yet to buy my sound card, just using onboard, but will be getting the Xtreme Gamer Pro version.

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

« #21 : November 20, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »

yes I did, l tried them this past week on the initial install.

wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

Baller

« #22 : November 20, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »

Here is the new list:  Let me know what you think. 

I want to run XP.  (prob gonna be XP pro, 64bit.)

Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos
MOBO: Evga Nvidia 680i SLI ATX
Power Supply: Silencer 750 Watt Quad
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600
Vid Card:  Dual XFX 8800 GTS (Extreme edition) (each is 320, is that a good price? Comes with a free copy of lost planet.  Don't really care about the game, but would that bring up the price alittle?)
Sound: Gonna go with the onboard sound with this.  Save the $180
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 240-pin DDR2 (2GB)
Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM ultra 400GB
Cooling: Thermal Take Big water 760i
Op drive 1: Lite On, super multi DVD burner 20x
Op drive 2: HP DvD 1040i light scribe 20x

So let me know what you think.  Thanks alot guys.

~Wonder.

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

« #23 : November 20, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »

WB, if you have never did watercooling, stay away from it. Get a good aftermarket heatsink and go with that. Whats the use to buy a wc kit for the cpu only? You got two vid cards to worry about and when you pull the factory stuff off of them to install a waterblock, you could void the warranty. Try it out without that stuff for a while, and if you cant stay away from it then try it. The 6600 isnt going to run too hot anyhow in that coolermaster case.

Stayfen.
Forum Member

: 37

um k pumpkin?

« #24 : November 20, 2007, 11:59:28 PM »

So what would you recommend for me.. I need a new computer.  I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about computers.. i was going to buy an Alienware so i wouldn't have to deal with it.  Good or bad idea?

Elite_Prophet
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1724

HIs Judgement Cometh...and That Right Soon

AOL Instant Messenger - DarkMiNapoli
« #25 : November 21, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »

N00b

So Let It Be Written, So let it be Done

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #26 : November 21, 2007, 04:58:55 AM »

Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos
MOBO: Evga Nvidia 680i SLI ATX
Power Supply: Silencer 750 Watt Quad
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600
Vid Card:  Dual XFX 8800 GTS (Extreme edition) (each is 320, is that a good price? Comes with a free copy of lost planet.  Don't really care about the game, but would that bring up the price alittle?)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 240-pin DDR2 (2GB)
Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM ultra 400GB
Op drive 1: Lite On, super multi DVD burner 20x
Op drive 2: HP DvD 1040i light scribe 20x

So let me know what you think.  Thanks alot guys.

~Wonder.

Do not get the GTS cards.  Get the GT cards instead.  They GT cards are much better.  You can get a GT card for $300 and have better performance then a GTS card.  That is for the super overclocked version too.

snyper133
Forum All-Star

« #27 : November 21, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »

If your definitely going to be running XP you better hurry up and get it after December 31, 2007 Microsoft will stop selling XP, and are requiring retailers to follow their lead.

Inexperience + Liquid Cooling System = Recipe for disaster and Loss of money. If you INSIST on a LCS solution you're better off building it from scratch which I can help you with that IF you DEFINITELY want to go LCS. I hope you understand the positive and negatives of both air cooling and Liquid Cooling. Ask Widow about his experience :-P.

So what would you recommend for me.. I need a new computer.  I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about computers.. i was going to buy an Alienware so i wouldn't have to deal with it.  Good or bad idea?

Aliewnware is nothing what it used to be. GG Dell for destroying Alienware's name. Suggestion customize a HP or Gateway or if you really have the money, or want a wicked computer check out Falcon Northwest or Voodoo Pc.

wonder.
Shmotz's Biotch
Godlike

Baller

« #28 : November 21, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »

what about like cyberpowerpc.com and Ibuypower.com  Aren't those rather good?  I was looking at them before, but i thought i could save some money building it myself. 

Also, here was the liquid cooling system i looked up.  It seemed rather easy to do.  (i watched the video... lol.)  but i guess ill just go with air cooling. 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3302740&CatId=1057
« : November 21, 2007, 09:26:21 AM Wonderbread »

0G ~ \/\/0ND3RBRE@D

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #29 : November 21, 2007, 09:39:43 AM »

Dear Stayfen:

Never buy an Alienware computer.  The end.

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
: