Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:57:31 PM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  CS:S Tweaks
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: CS:S Tweaks  ( 9986 )
MR|337
Inactive
Godlike

: 1261

« #15 : October 14, 2007, 05:20:43 PM »

I have a somewhat similar set up. Get rid of the logitech software for the mouse and use it as plug and play only. Secondly, The only time I have had "double shooting" was when I forgot my speakers on while using headphones. It was weird and took me a few to realise what was up. Thought it was a flashback from some acid I did at a ZZ Top concert in the eighties...

I have vsync disabled @ 1680x1050

Multi display/mixed gpu- acceleration Single display performance mode

all other settings are application controlled
« : October 14, 2007, 05:26:16 PM MR|337 »

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #16 : October 17, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »

I have a 518 as well...the logitech software works wonders for me...but to each his own  :-D

thefunk
Forum Member

: 25

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #17 : October 17, 2007, 11:33:19 PM »

Okay so I figured out that the whole double-shooting, weird delay/lag with the mouse was the result of some combination of having these settings enabled:
- pointer acceleration on in SetPoint
- enhance pointer precision in Windows mouse settings (OS form of acceleration)
- smooth mouse movement in CS:S

Disabling all of these things and setting -noforcemaccel on the CS:S launch options has fixed the mouse issues and eliminated any mouse acceleration. Unfortunately, I must have been playing with at least some acceleration before because no matter how I tweak sensitivities I can't get the movement back to what it was like before so I've had to just deal with some really crappy accuracy while I readjust. Will probably just take time. I notice in HLStats my accuracy is way down now but HS% is higher - odd.

Here's a VERY detailed mouse optimization guide if anyone is interested:
http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html

As for vsync, I've kept it enabled since I do get some tearing if I disable it. It stays at constant 60 fps and I'm okay with it since it feels pretty smooth. And it never drops even if there's a lot going on in the screen (thanks to the 8800GTX).
Baz
Forum Member

: 85

You are your own person... Take Responsibility.

« #18 : November 04, 2007, 11:00:10 PM »

Just takes time... I used to be godlike with mouse accel on playing with a MS Intellimouse Explorer Mouse. It just takes time to get used to no mouse accel. You'll have less trouble switching between games like CS/HL, which utilize windows mouse accel settings, and Quake series/Battelfield series that don't use windows settings. Turn it all off and it's one less thing you have to get used to.

vsync... such a highly debated issue... LCD users... keep it on... yeah you won't see the 235412341234 fps that you get with it off, but your monitor won't display it anyways. CRT users... why don't you have a beautiful LCD yet? Seriously tho... them hardcore games who are about winning... CRT playing at 640x480 with pegged fps cuz their graphics are turned way too low so that it looks like you're playing wolfenstein 3d. Even then... the experts say to cap your fps to your monitors max refresh rate at that resolution which is why everyone used fps cap of 120 when I was big into Rocket Arena back in the day. Max refresh was hmm... 120 Hz! LCDs... all pretty much 60 Hz at the native resolution.

Yeah you may get 300 fps when you're staring into a corner with no one on the server, but the fluctuation say from 45 to say 180 fps is what causes stupid shit like "ghost bullets" because the range fluctuation is so great that when it does drop from 200 down to 50 Valve's wonderful "no lag" lag compensation doesn't have a steady flow of info for it's predictions. If something's erratic how can you predict it? Capping decreases that fluctuation range and basically evens the flow and relieves stress on your vid card. All that means is that if you have a badass video card you'll have 100 fps at shitty graphics setting and 100 fps also at ridiculously high graphics setting. Which translates into very consistent game play.

I'm sure everyone's experienced going from playing on 15fps to playing on a steady 100 fps computer. Seems like your sensitivity went up when it actually stayed the same right? What capping does for you is keeps your fps from having such a large fluctuation range from say 50-180 so you don't have to get used to such a wide range of varying "smoothness." Effectively giving you consistent game play.

Pre-Source, Counter-Strike was capped at 100 fps. You couldn't go higher than 100 fps. It just didn't allow it. Thus there was no reason to bring your rates higher than 100. cl_cmdrate was always recommend to be equal to your average FPS. Peaked at 100? Rates at 100. That's why now you can set cl_cmdrate up to 300 in source. Because Source actually goes that high. If the server would allow it you could set your cl_cmdrate to 300. 99.99% of all servers are capped at 100 anyways so you can't send more than 100 proverbial commands per second so why fps_max > 100? No reason. Simple. People try to make it all convoluted and explain the mathematics behind it and it just makes you confused.

cl_updaterate you ask? sv_maxupdaterate is usually capped at 100 on 100tic servers and obviously capped lower on 66 and 30 tic servers. Servers tend to run around 1000 fps. Why not get all the info you can to make an accurate picture of player positioning if your connection can handle it? You can set the server's sv_maxupdaterate to 300 per client, but that's just bad bandwidth and resource management. Only for a LAN or something.

So where the fuck did 101 come from? Why does everyone use it? And why do some use 100 instead of 101? It came around cuz some fucktard was sitting around comparing his fps peaked at 100 to his rates which were also set at 100. BUT Netgraph showed him that his rates were sitting at 99.9. WTFBBQPWN?!?!?!!!11ONE!!1 That wasn't good enough though so he tried 101 and it sat at 100 on netgraph. There's no reason for it to be 101 as opposed to 100. Just a mental thing. And now you got CAL servers capped at 101 101 25000.

And that's that... I'm so damn long winded =\
Elite_Prophet
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1724

HIs Judgement Cometh...and That Right Soon

AOL Instant Messenger - DarkMiNapoli
« #19 : November 04, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »

I did not and will not ever read this! you should be ashamed of yourself for posting all of that

So Let It Be Written, So let it be Done

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: