Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:45:49 PM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Counter-Strike---> Help
| | |-+  Singing in the rain...
« previous next »
: [1]
: Singing in the rain...  ( 840 )
Spikeroo

« : April 23, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »

LMAO...GOOOOOOO CHARTER....

SUn - kick ass performance
Rain,Snow,Cold=laggy like an old man with a cane in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other

:mrgreen:
NightTrain

« #1 : April 23, 2005, 05:16:04 PM »

I wonder how weather can affect cable internet performance?  You'd like to think that all of their lines are insulated/coated.  That sucks Spike...hope you get it straightened out.

I hope I will have a good ISP in Orlando when I get there in June.  I don't think Verizon has fios there yet, but maybe soon.  :)
Spikeroo

« #2 : April 23, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »

Actually Night - this is one of my areas of expertise.  There are two issues.  The first is that there are temperature compensation circuits in the amplifier in the eqiupment outside on the poles.  If they are not set up correctly you can have real problems.  Essentially, temperature swings drive them crazy and your signal levels go crazy as well.  The second issue is the physical cables expand and contract with temperature swings.  This is why if you look at some cable plant (the wires and cables outside) you see an funny looking "u" shape near the equipment.  It is essentially a strain relief that allows the cable to literally move during temperature swings without stressing the connection to the amplifiers and fiber optic "nodes".  I have called Charter every spring and every fall since I've had service.  They don't have the temperatre compesnsation set up correctly on my physical plant.  So I essentially have problems when it gets cold for the first time of the year and some time afterwards.  And then again when it gets warm again in the spring.  Charter somehow manages to fix it up a bit - but not correctly.  Each season that I call they seem to get things cleared up - so I haven't changed providers.  Just this year they seem to be unwilling to give a shit.  I also talk in detail with he techs that show up for trouble calls - I end up blowing them away with technical jargon and they instantly raise the issue to the second tier.  The latest issue is that the tech's say that many of the folks that know antying are leaving the company.  This leaves me with morons that have no idea what I am talking about.  O well.  I guess it may be time to try verizon - even though they will only support 768 kbs downstream and 128 mbs upstream to my house.  I have 3 Mbps down and 256 kbps up with Charter.

I guess I could always look up some good anti-rain or anit-cold dances on some Indian websites...or wait for FTC from Verizon.

« : April 23, 2005, 06:37:19 PM Spikeroo From Kalamazoo »
Death_ADDER
TE Members
Godlike

: 4390

I know The Elders Rules me!

« #3 : April 23, 2005, 07:46:50 PM »

Rain,Snow,Cold=laggy like an old man with a cane in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other

yum scotch  :headbang1:
Spikeroo

« #4 : April 24, 2005, 08:05:22 AM »

:-D

I left out the other big leaky issue - contractors are/were used to build out most cable plant in the last decade.  They suck.  When I was at SNET we found horrible work performed by the contractors - hacked cables, cables not terminated correctly, loose/leaky connections to equipment, etc., etc.  The same contractors we kicked out of SNET were the ones that re-built Charter in Worcester several years later.

xTc the NJ GUIDO
Godlike

: 1875

AOL Instant Messenger - xTcr0x0r
« #5 : June 07, 2005, 07:12:30 PM »

On the note of singing in the rain....

I was listening to The Killers - Mr. Brightside and its playing pretty loudly. Im driving throgh brick city and all of a sudden some guy cuts me off, and while I try to drive up next to him to give him a big fucking middle finger, the song changes to walking on sunshine, but I was too mad to even realize this. So the guy laughed at me when I flipped the bird. Im pretty sure the traffic on the other side had a good laugh.

Cole

« #6 : June 08, 2005, 03:49:29 AM »

Spike, I'm on Verizon down in WEbster.  I get 1.5 down 256 up.  I'm within 2.5 miles from my DSLAM.  They advertise 768 in case  of a long connection.  Find out where you're DSLAM is, and you'll prob. get the full speed connection.
TyDiRiUm
Inactive
Godlike

: 2255

Respect is Everything!

AOL Instant Messenger - MrChickMagnet69
« #7 : June 08, 2005, 06:57:52 AM »

Damn you xTc, that was me you ASSHOLE! IF I EVER CATCH YOU DOIN THAT SHIT AGAIN IM'A RUN YOUR @$$ OFF THE ROAD BIOTCH! lol :-P :lol:

"Respect is everything."
: [1]  
« previous next »
: