Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:01:56 PM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Team Fortress 2 Pub (72.5.152.147) (Moderators: SConforti, Smurfette)
| | |-+  Why idling might not be a good idea for getting items
« previous next »
: [1]
: Why idling might not be a good idea for getting items  ( 883 )
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« : May 26, 2009, 07:23:38 AM »

From http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876797

Okay we know the system is supposed to be random, and seems to be, however there are increased reports of the "idling" becoming less and less productive.

So here is my two cents:
(i do not count if i get a new or old gun, a drop is a drop)

Right after the update i racked a "decent but low" number of unlocks and clocked like 20 hours of tf2 in the first two days of the release.

After this i idled a while during the night and got in 7 hours ... 1 item.

At some point i decided to delete all and try to get them "honestly"

from then i got so far 6 of the guns, only 2 dupes.

So here is my theory, the system tries not to advantage players who play more from players that play less, because of this it evaluate what is your daily TF2 consumption and this determinate how often per hour you can "roll the dices".

If at one point you have a brutal increase of your daily playtime you will see an increase in drops, but this sharp increase will skew your average playtime per day and result in a slowdown of your "rolling of the dices".
So the more you abuse the system the slower it gets.

Wich basically makes farming useless because what drop in 15hours of idle farming +5hours of play could have dropped in the 5 hours of play alone.

There is also a high probability of a "cutoff value", namely a maximum drop rate with is probably around the drop speed Valve wishes for the average play time of an average player.

The first days of the update most of the big players clocked much higher than usual playtime and it appeared to reward them more, which is probably true on the short term as any system that determinate new game sessions based on statistics of past game session is bound to have some "lag" before it rectify itself.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #1 : May 26, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »

I think we don't know enough about the new system to make assumptions or take any different actions. I'm just awaiting trade (if anyone will actually trade hats) and the ability to work towards what you want (i.e. hats LOL).

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #2 : May 26, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »

You're theroy is bullshit! Since the update I think I've logged about 3-4 hours in game and recived 1 drop!

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #3 : May 26, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

It's not my theory! It's from the steam forums link I posted at the top! :D

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #4 : May 26, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »

It's not my theory! It's from the steam forums link I posted at the top! :D

The steam forums are notorius for people that think they know what they're talking about LOL IDK why I even bother checking them, except for being bored at work.

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #5 : May 27, 2009, 04:18:17 AM »

So last night I sat in idle and didn't get a dang thing all night. I think the update might have something to do with that. :dontknow:

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #6 : May 27, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »

So last night I sat in idle and didn't get a dang thing all night. I think the update might have something to do with that. :dontknow:

Possibly...there are server events that tell when you join a team so maybe they implemented it....who knows. I'm not gonna bother wasting the electricity, I'll get them when I play (well, I only need hats) or get them in trade, whenever the implement that.

BearDog
Inactive
Forum Member

: 44

« #7 : May 27, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »

haxor  :mrgreen:

LTK
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 229

« #8 : May 28, 2009, 02:35:48 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure there really is any SYSTEM to it. I read a lot of complaints about the completely random apparentness in other forums regarding the game. Personally, I keep getting dupes. Oh well. Also, no hates yet, but I absolutely love them, particularly the medic WWI era german helmet.

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #9 : May 29, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »

All I need now are hats...the ones I really want are the Soldier Stash, Mining Light and Fancy Fedora...I do want the others too but these are the ones I want the most. Now, if only they implement trading so I can offload the 5 extra Ambassador's I have LOL

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

« #10 : June 08, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »

Still missing my dead ringer and Jarate oh well the search continues.

Trade you both for a hat ;) when you can that is  :|

: [1]  
« previous next »
: