Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:33:15 PM

:    
Welcome to The Elders' Home Page.  New visitors please register here:  http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum to see full site.
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  Looking for Laptop help
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Looking for Laptop help  ( 1828 )
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« : September 18, 2008, 04:14:08 AM »

My mother is looking to buy a laptop for traveling purposes. Since I'm really terrible with laptops I no idea where to send her looking for a well priced one. So if any of you guys have any suggestions, please post. Thanks.

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #1 : September 18, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

just get a Dell.

hakksaww
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 118

« #2 : September 18, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »

word. I would caution against a UMPC (those little sexy slim ones that all the noobs flock to). they are a pain in the ass for moms and such (all accessories are dongles, 900 bits and pieces, etc.).

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #3 : September 18, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

Those little PCs are stupid. They cost a few $100, and are just terrible computers.

15" isn't too big to carry around, and I agree, go buy a Dell. That's what I did.

If you can find a good refurbished one, go for it. That's what I did.

TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #4 : September 18, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

15 inchers are great for travelling and usually have enough USB slots for at least a mouse and a drive if she needs to do pictures/transfers etc. 

DELL makes the LATITUDE which is a business class machine at 15"  which is what I make all my engineers use.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #5 : September 18, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »

Just don't buy a 17". Those things are beasts. Imagine carrying around a abnormally thick 17" LCD monitor.

hakksaww
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 118

« #6 : September 18, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »

the vostro's are the dell consumer line - 8lbs or so - about 12lbs for her to lug around total with a laptop bag. Not horrible, but she might like the slightly lighter corporate deals (lattitudes).

whatver she gets, the most important question to ask her is : What do you want to be able to do with this thing? - then get one that does that. if she burns cd's, umpc's are out, as a "for example".

I have set up friends with Vostro's and without exception they are all happy with the price/ROI.

Luggage
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 397

Just a normal homicidal piece of sapient pearwood

« #7 : September 18, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

I am a big fan of IBM ThinkPad / Lenovo.  Have been using the X60 for a while and it is awesome performance wise, battery (extended I think) lasts 4 hrs plus and it's super-light.  I think they have a newer version out now.

completely agree with hakksaww's point on getting exactly what you need because has a big impact on price/performance and weight with laptops.

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

Giant Donkey

« #8 : September 18, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

SHe just want's it for getting on the internet when she's on trips. She does a lot of traveling every summer on her Harley and she just wants an easier way to check e-mail and post vids to you tube. She already has a home computer. Though I think if she get s good lappy she'll just use it at home instead of the PC. She's made it clear hse doesn't have a problem spending the money on a new laptop, she just wants to make sure it's not gonna fall apart on her. Seeing as she'll be packing it the saddle bag of Harely and travling some 10-20,000 km a season.

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #9 : September 18, 2008, 03:59:29 PM »

Definately the business class from Dell then.  The Latitude line takes a beating and keeps on ticking.  Also have her get the extended warranty on it so if something does happen Dell will repair it for her.

TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

Your Moms <3 me

« #10 : September 18, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »

and ask her if she prefers nipples or pads.

you dirty boys!  some laptops don't COME with the nipples.  I like nipples.
 :headbang1:    :downtown:

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

Giant Donkey

« #11 : September 19, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

Thanks for all the seggestions everyone. :-D

TX_Bandit
Too young to die!
Forum Freak

: 258

« #12 : September 20, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »

My advise would be to get a Dell normally BUT, since she is leterally taking it "On the Road" in a Saddle bag on a Harley.

GET A PANASONIC TOUGH BOOK.

We use them at work for all the trucks and they leterally take a beating and keep going. Bouncing around all the time getting stuff spilled on them etc.

If you haul a laptop around on a bike all the time it will need to be tougher than if you are carrying a standard one around in a laptop bag to you car taking a nice short gentle ride to work or whatever and walking to and from the car etc.

It may be more expensive but will pay for itself in reliability and durability.

TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

Your Moms <3 me

« #13 : September 21, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »

I'm with bandit on that...  especially if we're talking cross country adventure trips where you don't ride the smooth highways the whole time...

Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #14 : September 21, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »

I think you have to take into consideration the large amount of vibration the laptop will be subjected to in the saddlebag of a Harley.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: