Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:54:42 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« previous next »
: [1]
: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ( 1433 )
PHI_21
Inactive
Forum Member

: 71

MSN Messenger - phi_slama_jama_21@hotmail.com
« : July 21, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »

Just recently while playing CS:S I've noticed that my screen will freeze randomly for about 1 second.  I've had this problem before and to be truthful, not sure how I fixed it but its really annoying, especially in the middle of a fire-fight.  It happens about 1 a round.  Any suggestions?

~Dave
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 266

Your Moms <3 me

Yahoo Instant Messenger - Hypocrisy71
« #1 : July 22, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »

you got your video settings maxed out?  crank them back a bit.
you got a new video card?  check the quality settings of it (I know nvidia does that)

how big is your video card memory?  how much RAM in the computer (sometimes the video cards borrow system memory)  whats the refresh rate on the monitor/video card right now?

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #2 : July 22, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »

Have you updated your drivers recently?

PHI_21
Inactive
Forum Member

« #3 : July 24, 2008, 07:28:35 AM »

I'm going to update right now. :sunny:

~Dave
PHI_21
Inactive
Forum Member

« #4 : July 29, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

So I updated, didnt help!  :headbang:

~Dave
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

Your Moms <3 me

« #5 : July 29, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »

ok.  test it out in other games.  test it out watching videos on your screen, youtube, and canned downloaded ON YOUR HARDDRIVE movies.  does it happen there?

does it happen in the other games?  does it happen on all servers?  if its only inside steam or CS then its something to do with your settings inside there.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, thank one for it.
Luggage
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 397

Just a normal homicidal piece of sapient pearwood

« #6 : July 29, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »

If it's not video card related - might be rates/choke related...

Can someone suggest ideal rates (I don't play CS:S much)?

Video_Master
Inactive
Godlike

: 1378

MSN Messenger - david_ulbrich@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - my69ponycar
« #7 : July 29, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »

Honestly it is probably your Power Supply starting to die.

TX_Bandit
Too young to die!
Forum Freak

: 258

« #8 : July 29, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »

I had a problem a while back where I would be in CSS and then it would for no reason toggle out to the Desktop. Very annoying. Looked at everything drivers, temps etc. Ended up reloading CSS and XP on another drive, same case, same video card, etc etc and it runs fine. So..................... my point here is
1)  it was not hardware related at all
2) Drivers and reloading Steam and CSS didn't help

What my issue was OS or registry, I had a spare drive so I just loaded the OS and Games no A/V, no firewall no nothin and all I do is restart and turn my main Sata drives off and turn on my gaming drive and it's fast as shit, problems gone and it runs super fine and fast.

I don't dop email surf or anything else on this drive so I don't worry really about Syware or virus's and if I ever were to get one I wouold just reload everything from a ghosted image I made of it.

Consider doing that maybe

DEATHHAVEN
Inactive
Forum Member

: 84

« #9 : July 29, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »

you might have something enabled to check for something every couple of minutes (or seconds) (like mail)  disable it
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

Your Moms <3 me

« #10 : July 30, 2008, 06:48:18 AM »

yeah, and dig into the registry and kill off all the unnecessary CRAP you have at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

applications load their OWN SHIT in there to make them start faster, but it eats up memory and cpu sitting in the background...  but BE CAREFUL...  I know symantec antivirus wont run without the CCAPP running... you can kill the other one.  best bet is to figure out what each one belongs to and deciding if you really REALLY need that launched at start up.  then export the key somewhere safe.  delete the key, reboot, and make sure everything still works... and if it doesnt then double click the key to re-enter it into your registry and reboot.

PHI_21
Inactive
Forum Member

« #11 : July 30, 2008, 07:53:40 AM »

Thanks for all the advice:

It doesnt happen on anything else VID wise, as for games I really don't play any other games right now so this is all I can test.  I did just notice it does it on this screen right here, with the SHOUTS scrolling to the right, hmmmm.

I do have another hard drive I use for backup.  If I installed on that hard drive, would I pretty much have to boot up on that HDD when I wanted to play?

I've also considered doing a fresh reinstall of XP and everything else, its been awihle since I've done that. 

Lastly, does anyone know how to get rid of the previous driver so I'm not installing over the old one?

~Dave
TE | Hypo
TE Members
Forum Freak

Your Moms <3 me

« #12 : July 30, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »

first set your resolution to LOWER than normal... like 1024x768 or something most devices can handle.

then open device manager, find the device, right click, properties, drivers, UNINSTALL.

Hurtz
TE Members
Forum Member

: 40

« #13 : July 31, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »

When I update my video drivers I always run driver cleaner pro first.  Make sure you follow the instructions .. ie unplug from internet and run in safe mode.  Works for me when I've had video issues in the past. 

It could also be your antivirus software if you run while in game or could be, as someone mentioned before, your power supply.  Use an app called OCCTPT or OCCT to run a stress test to see if your voltages are drooping.  This will test the 12, 3.3 and 5 voltages on you psu under stress ... these should not fluctuate below these baselines.  If they drop then your psu is on the way out.

Another thing to check for is spyware ... i was having intermitten lag once and it ended up being some type of spyware that was calling home to dl more shit and causing lag.

PHI_21
Inactive
Forum Member

« #14 : August 01, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »

Thanks, I'll check all that and let ya know.

~Dave
: [1]  
« previous next »
: