Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:18:04 AM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  Pc Help/Tweak Page (Moderator: snyper133)
| | |-+  New laptop, upgrade desktop, or neither?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: New laptop, upgrade desktop, or neither?  ( 4685 )
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #15 : November 06, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »

Is that 460 good? I'm looking at getting one, but I gotta upgrade my power supply first. It came out of the box with 375 and my card is rated for 400 XD

It's amazing. My CPU is my only throttle now, which is why I want to upgrade. I'm gonna wait until thursday to order since I'll be out of town until Monday. (I have a 650W PSU).

My offer to sell my current motherboard+its parts is still valid. :P

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 123

« #16 : November 07, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »

:O Oh damn, I gotta go look at that

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #17 : November 08, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »

http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?topic=8374.0

:P

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 272

« #18 : November 08, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

It all depends on how you're going to upgrade in the future.

If it's going to be several years before you upgrade again, you're probably going to have to get a new motherboard (again) when you upgrade because the socket will have changed.  To me, future-proofing the MB doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're picking up new connection types for devices that you plan to purchase in the near future.

All my builds have been with ASUS MBs...never any problems.

I know you don't need it now, since you have an IDE header, but you can pick up a PATA to USB external enclosure for $20, but you'd need two...and for $40 you could pick up a .5 TB internal SATA drive.  I don't know how big your PATA drives are, or what speed they are, but it's some food for thought if it helps you get into a motherboard that's $80 cheaper.

Switching from Intel to AMD w/o reinstalling the OS is a serious pain in the ass.  So unless you're planning on installing from scratch, stick w/ Intel (since that's what you already have).

I assume you're running a 64 bit OS already?

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #19 : November 08, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »

It all depends on how you're going to upgrade in the future.

If it's going to be several years before you upgrade again, you're probably going to have to get a new motherboard (again) when you upgrade because the socket will have changed.  To me, future-proofing the MB doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're picking up new connection types for devices that you plan to purchase in the near future.
I upgraded my LGA775 processor once with my current motherboard. I'm thinking I'll eventually do the same with this one. I'm also *hoping* USB3/SATA6 becomes more prevalent before I need to get a new processor.

All my builds have been with ASUS MBs...never any problems.
Good to hear

I know you don't need it now, since you have an IDE header, but you can pick up a PATA to USB external enclosure for $20, but you'd need two...and for $40 you could pick up a .5 TB internal SATA drive.  I don't know how big your PATA drives are, or what speed they are, but it's some food for thought if it helps you get into a motherboard that's $80 cheaper.
530GB total, not sure what the speeds are, but I'll take a look to see if I can legitimately offset the cost of the motherboard with a hard drive. Something tells me IDE support doesn't cost $80, but I could be wrong.

Switching from Intel to AMD w/o reinstalling the OS is a serious pain in the ass.  So unless you're planning on installing from scratch, stick w/ Intel (since that's what you already have).
That's the idea

I assume you're running a 64 bit OS already?
of course! :P

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #20 : November 08, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »

lol, yeah, 6 GB + 32 bit wouldn't make much sense there, Baltika.  :P

My last build had a $70 ASUS board that was more than plenty.  Part of the cost of your current choice is USB 3.0 and probably SLI (even though it's only x8 for both... odd @ that price).  So it probably is a wash in the end.

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #21 : November 08, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »

lol, yeah, 6 GB + 32 bit wouldn't make much sense there, Baltika.  :P
My company chooses to ignore this.
They gave me a new laptop with 4 gig of RAM, wiped Win7 64bit and installed XP 32 bit because it's their supported corporate image.
Grrr...

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #22 : November 16, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

Hey, lookie what showed up.

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #23 : November 16, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »

Looks like a sweet setup...lemme know how cool that zalman keeps your overclock!

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Taso
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 253

« #24 : November 16, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »

I hatchu crazy.

You can make the server more fun by not allowing Taso's ass to play a spy. K thx -Chesty Puller
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #25 : November 17, 2010, 12:26:55 AM »

I think I have to reseat the heatsink. When I was trying to do it the first time, a piece fell out, and I had to basically completely remove and completely reattach the system. I'm idling around 38C right now, and the paste still has to be broken in, but if it doesn't drop to around 35 at idle, I think I'm gonna redo it and hopefully get it in on the first try. THEN I'll overclock. My research shows that this thing can be OC'd ON AIR to 4.2 GHz.

Everything runs great (at least it did after I realized that I had a cable blocking my graphics card's fan, which was overheating). I really wanted to test it in GTA, but neither GTA IV or Episodes from Liberty City will launch, so I'm gonna redownload GTA IV tonight, which will (hopefully) fix it.

My only issue with the motherboard is I can't retask the audio jacks in the rear like I could with a Realtek system.
I don't really like using my front ports, especially cause the microphone jack doesn't work, and the headphone jack is picky. Because of that, I have to run an audio extension cable to the front for the headphones, while having the mic plugged in to the back.
That being said, if anyone knows how to retask an audio jack on a VIA set, let me know! If that's an impossibility, I'd have to just buy an audio splitter, which I might actually have sitting right next to me in a drawer.

Splitter works just fine. :P
« : November 17, 2010, 12:34:01 AM crazydog »

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #26 : November 17, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »

Yea those chips can hit 4GHZ easy with good air circulation in the case. 

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

« #27 : November 17, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

drool

I love virgin pins

That could be box of 386 parts you pulled out of the bargain bin and I'd still be envious of you...although seeing all those SATA/PCIe connectors does make me smile too.

You have a case big enough to mount that many devices?

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #28 : November 18, 2010, 01:34:29 AM »

drool

I love virgin pins

That could be box of 386 parts you pulled out of the bargain bin and I'd still be envious of you...although seeing all those SATA/PCIe connectors does make me smile too.

You have a case big enough to mount that many devices?

Heh. Not the sata drives. I'm already at capacity with the hard drives. I have one sitting in the 5.25 bays. I'd need to buy a few mounts.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: