Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:30 AM

:    
Interested in joining The Elders?  Post all your information in our forums http://theelders.net/forum/index.php?action=forum
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Server Forum
| |-+  Banned? Admin abuse?? (Moderator: Ender)
| | |-+  Dear TF2 diary...
« previous next »
: [1]
: Dear TF2 diary...  ( 1940 )
KommissarVirtunov
Noob

: 2

« : June 29, 2010, 04:02:51 AM »

Mood: Not surprised, really.

Now, I know judging by recent history and reading the other threads in this very forum that some of the administration around this place seems to lean toward quick decisions and throw permabans out for anything in particular that suits the mood at the time (8 permabans in a week, really?) , but lets have a discussion about what "multi-hacking" is and isn't.

Multihacking is:
-A generic term to describe someone using a combination of tools allowing a person to use aim assist tools, see through walls, etc.

Multihacking is not:
-A reason to ban someone because you have an inclination to die to that individual or because they're doing something out of the ordinary from their own personal experiences.

Now I see this lovely little ban reason next to my recent permaban telling me that I was multihacking on your servers and I'm curious how an engineer failing and reversing his teleports, letting me in your staging area is hacking?

While I'm at it, lets go into a brief discussion about my experiences with the TE community directly and indirectly. Now, I've had some fun times on your servers during the times I've played on it, but it's been a while since I've seen such overzealous administration of a server. I've seen people kicked and banned for little things such as not playing a class as intended and foul language in a server. From my understanding, a permaban is a significant punishment intended for the most heinous of violations, but it appears that half the permabans recently have been for foul language.

Now, TF2 is a video game intended for the whole idea of fun and competition, but some of you guys seem to be rather...emotional and quick to smite "outsiders." From what I've seen on your server, the active membership is quite hostile to the community it's supposed to encourage growth in. I've been witness to an admin threatening to ban another for spawncamping a door, just to have the same admin spawncamp in an identical scenario and then claim it's okay because there's another spawn exit? Elitism and immaturity are rather scary things, but there's a strong stench of it from some of you folks. If you demand respect from your players, you need to show the same to them .
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #1 : June 29, 2010, 04:23:07 AM »

By the looks of things, it was Hitman Smurf that added your ban. You'll have to wait for him to come and tell you whats up. There's always the chance that he banned the wrong person. It happens. The admin panel lists everyone as a number, and sometimes the wrong number is hit.

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« #2 : June 29, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »

Multi-hack is used when there is not a description for the type of ban we are using, as is our policy. Being in our spawn stabbing people, griefing engineer or not, is tantamount to exploitative, you've played long enough you should know better. The fact that you would take advantage of such a thing is reason enough for you to be banned and shows poor sportsmanship, to say the least. For all I know you were working with said engineer to do this very thing. Hence, working with said engineer, or taking advantage of his griefing to exploit the game in that manner is a multi-hack because it requires one or more hacks or participation of multiple parties. We have a zero tolerance policy for bullshit on our server. We have no problem keeping our server full or acquiring long-time regulars. Second, it is not your place to question who we ban, why we ban someone or how many we ban in a week. Third, excessive foul language, being an asshole or not playing the class correctly (mostly applies to a battle medic that refuses to heal teammates) is a justifiable reason to ban someone in our server. We've had so many problems with this type of activity, due to the number of people our server hosts, that this has become the overall policy and has been like this for quite some time. A permban in our server is necessary for such offenses (that you yourself might not consider "heinous" enough to deserve one) due to the high number of people waiting to get into our server at peak hours. We give everyone the respect they deserve but those who play regularly in our server are held to a higher standard and more is expected of them. I'm honestly surprised to see this kind of foul sportsmanship from you. Elitism is not the trait I would use to describe our members, as none of us consider ourselves better players than all others and immaturity is just as far off as we have been much more tolerant in the past but the current state of many players in the game requires a stronger hand, especially on our server,  so what you view as immaturity is a product of the type of players that have recently been flooding the server. With your reply, I wonder why you even care about being banned in the first place, as it seems you do not have a very high opinion of our server anyway. This is our server, not yours, and if you don't like the way it's run you can play elsewhere. Now, perhaps, had you not been a douche bag and came here to explain the situation you might have gotten the ban lifted. As it stands however, you can find another place to play. Have a good day, sir.
« : June 29, 2010, 11:20:41 AM Hitman Smurf »

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #3 : June 29, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »

@Smurf (and anyone who sees this, I guess):
For future reference:
If you choose "Own Reason" in the ban menu, you can specify...your own reason by typing it in the chat after you choose "own reason".

Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

Giant Donkey

« #4 : June 29, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

I second Smurf's rant.

KommissarVirtunov
Noob

: 2

« #5 : June 29, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »

Multi-hack is used when there is not a description for the type of ban we are using, as is our policy. Being in our spawn stabbing people, griefing engineer or not, is tantamount to exploitative, you've played long enough you should know better. The fact that you would take advantage of such a thing is reason enough for you to be banned and shows poor sportsmanship, to say the least. For all I know you were working with said engineer to do this very thing. Hence, working with said engineer, or taking advantage of his griefing to exploit the game in that manner is a multi-hack because it requires one or more hacks or participation of multiple parties. We have a zero tolerance policy for bullshit on our server. We have no problem keeping our server full or acquiring long-time regulars. Second, it is not your place to question who we ban, why we ban someone or how many we ban in a week. Third, excessive foul language, being an asshole or not playing the class correctly (mostly applies to a battle medic that refuses to heal teammates) is a justifiable reason to ban someone in our server. We've had so many problems with this type of activity, due to the number of people our server hosts, that this has become the overall policy and has been like this for quite some time. A permban in our server is necessary for such offenses (that you yourself might not consider "heinous" enough to deserve one) due to the high number of people waiting to get into our server at peak hours. We give everyone the respect they deserve but those who play regularly in our server are held to a higher standard and more is expected of them. I'm honestly surprised to see this kind of foul sportsmanship from you. Elitism is not the trait I would use to describe our members, as none of us consider ourselves better players than all others and immaturity is just as far off as we have been much more tolerant in the past but the current state of many players in the game requires a stronger hand, especially on our server,  so what you view as immaturity is a product of the type of players that have recently been flooding the server. With your reply, I wonder why you even care about being banned in the first place, as it seems you do not have a very high opinion of our server anyway. This is our server, not yours, and if you don't like the way it's run you can play elsewhere. Now, perhaps, had you not been a douche bag and came here to explain the situation you might have gotten the ban lifted. As it stands however, you can find another place to play. Have a good day, sir.

I'm not exactly sure where to begin replying to this since its a large block of text, but lets Tarentino this a bit and start from the end. I've read up on some previous ban requests and I've noticed the trend of the sentence "Now, perhaps, had you not been a douche bag and came here to explain the situation you might have gotten the ban lifted." Now if I was here to be a complete douchebag my initial post would have been reworded a bit to point out individuals and some more...kind words. You knew what the situation was to begin with since you're the one who banned me. My stern and honest post was meant in complete seriousness of an outsider's view of your community.

Now lets be honest, I have low opinions of most gaming communities and clans because time and time again they repeat the stereotypes I have of them. It's those communities that prove me wrong that I admire the most, normally these are the ones who don't market themselves as privileged. You say that strictness is necessary in order to support the high number of players looking to join your server at peak hours. Are we talking about regular players here or pub players? Pub players will join any server over halfway filled that's not playing something like orange_x and if lack of space is a concern you might want to consider not having a 24th slot that is always reserved.

Now, my response to your counter on elitism and immaturity in the community. Reading just about any thread in this forum starts out as someone looking to get a ban removed, usually followed by a circus train of accusation and insult by community members. I am impressed that this hasn't turned into that quite yet. Even if someone has stooped down to a certain level, why is that a free pass to do the same exact thing in return? I also saw that Video Master had quite the opinionated views against people who accused him of hacking, I wonder why that was the case.

Do I have poor sportsmanship? Now, I wouldn't say I'm the most angelic voice in the choir, but I would be glad to accuse a number of people for being sore losers.

I look forward to your response! And also, could my ban reason be something a bit more truthful than multihacking?
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

Giant Donkey

« #6 : June 29, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »

Video Master has been removed from our clan. If that makes any difference. This thread is done. I'm locking for now.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: