Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:00:11 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  SPAM Central
| | |-+  Grammar Nazi
« previous next »
: [1]
: Grammar Nazi  ( 2355 )
Hitman Smurf
TF2 Guru
Inactive
Godlike

: 3918

You can get past a dog...nobody fucks with a lion.

« : May 05, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »

I never put a comma before "and" but that's how I was taught:

Grammar Nazi

Baltika (#9)
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 272

« #1 : May 05, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »

Good thing we don't have spelling doctors around here...they wouldn't be running out of patients, but maybe patience.

V.I.P.
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1267

MSN Messenger - thejack-07@hotmail.com AOL Instant Messenger - TheJack3171
« #2 : May 05, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

Anytime you use a conjunction, if a full sentence follows, then a comma is necessary.

^ like in that sentence, I used a comma before then because " a comma is necessary " is a complete sentence that can stand on its own.  Any grammar questions can be direction to me. 

I'll be here all week.

From VIP to RIP

What the fuck is this shit???

Holy Shit
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 390

Growing old is Manditory, Growing up is optional

AOL Instant Messenger - uweholyshot
« #3 : August 11, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »

I was always told that when writing a list of thing that is three or more items long that the , goes in front of the and :)
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1570

It's not "CrazyDog" or "Crazy Dog", idiots.

AOL Instant Messenger - Crazydog445
« #4 : October 29, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

Ooo! Ooo! I'm a grammar Nazi!

Well, maybe not a Nazi. Perhaps I'm a grammar.....neo-nazi? Shares the name but not really as effective.

It really bothers me when people use incorrect spelling/grammar, but I don't usually take the time out to correct them. I just think of them less! :P

Taso
TE Members
Forum Freak

: 253

« #5 : October 29, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »

So you think of me less? My keyboard sucks and hurts my wrists, that's my excuse.

You can make the server more fun by not allowing Taso's ass to play a spy. K thx -Chesty Puller
Giant Flying Head
TE Senior Member
Godlike

: 1199

Giant Donkey

MSN Messenger - ryoga81@hotmail.com
« #6 : October 29, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »

Way to necro something for Halloween! Congratz! :mrgreen:

"Feel the wrath of my giant head" - Elmer Fud
crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #7 : October 29, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »

First of all, it's the Spam section. I think anything here is fair game. Secondly, this is the second or third time I've been to the Spam section, so cut me some slack! :P

Frag_68
Forum Member

: 99

« #8 : October 29, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

Well, maybe not a Nazi. Perhaps I'm a grammar.....neo-nazi? Shares the name but not really as effective.

It really bothers me when people use incorrect spelling/grammar, but I don't usually take the time out to correct them. I just think of them less! :P

You think of them less or you think less of them?

:)

In a list, there can be some ambiguity if you leave off the comma before the and even in lists with only three items:

Wrong:  I enjoy Beethoven, Donnie and Marie and Mamas and Papas. 
Right:  I enjoy Beethoven, Donnie and Marie, and Mamas and Papas. 

Kind of a stretch of an example, but it makes the point.

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #9 : October 29, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »

You think of them less or you think less of them?

:)

In a list, there can be some ambiguity if you leave off the comma before the and even in lists with only three items:

Wrong:  I enjoy Beethoven, Donnie and Marie and Mamas and Papas. 
Right:  I enjoy Beethoven, Donnie and Marie, and Mamas and Papas. 

Kind of a stretch of an example, but it makes the point.

Hey! My statement was grammatically correct! Sure, it meant something different than what I was thinking, but it was still proper English! :D

I have to admit that the bad grammar on the internet is starting to "osmosis" osmose its way into me. I find myself typing incorrectly a bunch, and I don't always catch it, like above. Maybe I should stop using the internet. It's obviously rotting my brain.

On a side note, this thread reminds me of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWiTvYZR_w
It's not the grammar correction that gets me; it's how he looks at the camera at the end.
« : October 29, 2010, 04:22:34 PM crazydog »

Mustard
TE Members
Forum All-Star

: 340

« #10 : October 29, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »

So you think of me less? My keyboard sucks and hurts my wrists, that's my excuse.

No way, I don't buy it. You're whole generation is just grammatically fucked. It's like everyone under eighteen decided to rape their English textbooks, then take shit one them after. My niece does this thing on FB that just makes me want to strangle her. Shit like: "hey muhh awesome twinn!" WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? Terrible, retarded phonetic words, EXTRA LETTERS!!!!!

It just burns my ass. You ever read 1984? We didn't need an evil government to create "newspeak" we just needed cell phones and teenagers.

My former English-major-self is going to have an aneurysm.

TE-r | JuggerNuke: i am just thinking into an endless blackhole now

Lyriq
TE Members
Forum Enthusiast

: 123

« #11 : October 30, 2010, 12:02:08 AM »

Oi! I resent that statement! Not all of us sub-dupgenarians are gibbering simpletons. Some of us can actually be quite articulate when we remain indefatigable and stay away from the taint of social networking. /facetiousness

crazydog
TE Senior Member
Godlike

« #12 : October 30, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »

Oi! I resent that statement! Not all of us sub-dupgenarians are gibbering simpletons. Some of us can actually be quite articulate when we remain indefatigable and stay away from the taint of social networking. /facetiousness

Heh heh. You said taint.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: